metal piece came out of oil pan when changing oil

/ metal piece came out of oil pan when changing oil
Thanks for the advice , thought the pictures might help . I took the rocker cover off .
everything looks fine but not sure . No missing piecies at least. I will probably have to take the oil pan off or sump. There may be more pieces like you say that didnt fall out yet. Now to figure out how to do that .

/ metal piece came out of oil pan when changing oil #22  
When you get the oil pan off, check the oil pickup tube. It probably has a strainer of some sort and the piece may have come from there. The noise from the top end might be from lack of oil. You might have to take the rockers off and take a better look at the top end also.

Hello, Thanks for the reply . The rods mostly looked straight ,just a few looked sideways but lined up and still conected .thats maybe how they go I will have to learn as I go ' . There was quite a tap at a higher rpm not at idle ,when I parked it in the shed before I drained all the fluids. Now I can decide whether to take the engine completely out or just have a look once I remove the oil pan . this must come off without taking it all apart. looks to me if the part came from the bottom end or like you say from up a little higher.

/ metal piece came out of oil pan when changing oil #24  
look at the top of the rocker assy again.. many setups have oil tubes with lil deflectors or holders that travel up and then across the rocker assy to oil the topside. might be something from one of them as well.

when you say rods sideways.. i assume pushrods? were they off their lifters?, ie.. kicked over at an angle a bit.. are the pushrods straight? doesn't take but a few thousands bend in them to make them shorter.. if they goet shorter that opens up clearance

/ metal piece came out of oil pan when changing oil #25  
You may have someone turn the the motor over by hand while you watch the valve train to see if everything is moving properly.

I will have another look and try to get a diagram for this engine . Thanks .

/ metal piece came out of oil pan when changing oil #27  
look on the under side of valve cover , see if there are any simular parts. I think soundguy is onto something with his oil splasher theory.

Thanks, I will .

Got the oil pan . this is what was in it. the rest of the pieces.

Attachments

• DSC01145.JPG
    DSC01145.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC01146.JPG
    DSC01146.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 263