JD 2305 PTO problem

/ JD 2305 PTO problem #1  

AppleMan

Tractor
JD 2305, JD 850, 1951 Farmall
When spraying my orchard tonite using my JD 2305's rear PTO for my sprayer the power started to die on my tractor. I sprayed the first block (45 minutes) with no problem. When I went to spray the next two blocks, the power dropped down on the tractor every 10 minutes or so. When this happened, all I did was power down and shutoff the PTO for about 15 seconds, and it would run fine for another 10 minutes or so. This happened a few years back, and once I swiped out the air filter, it ran fine. But I just changed this air filter a month ago and sprayed 4times this season already with no problem. Should I try swapping air filters again, or is this something with the PTO? I would have shut it down till tomorrow but I needed to get the spray on my trees asap tonite.

/ JD 2305 PTO problem #2  
The filter is a cheap fix. Try a new one. If it doesn't help keep it as a spare. Or you can try and blow it out with compressed air.

Did you replace both air filters or just the outer one?

/ JD 2305 PTO problem #3  
I dont see the relationship between the pto and the power loss. The air filter should affect the tractor whether the pto is on or off..

But it appears that you only experience the power loss whiwle using the pto? Is that correct? Do you only use the tractor w the pto every time?

Brian

Last edited:
   / JD 2305 PTO problem #4  
I'd guess the pto is bringing the engine up to a higher power demand, therefore higher air intake demand. When the PTO is shut off the load drops, no problem because the filter can supply the demand.

My :2cents: on a possible cause/fix.

Good luck.:drink: