MF 135 Draft Control Spring

/ MF 135 Draft Control Spring #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
Today, I removed the draft control spring assembly from my Massey 135 tractor so I can clean it up and replace the dust boot seal (E). I thought the nut (D) might have given me trouble, but removing the assembly was relatively easy. However, after driving the retaining pin out of the clevis (F), I can't seem to figure out how to screw the clevis (F) off the plunger (B) shaft (A).

Suggestions anyone?

WNKom.jpg

Last edited:
   / MF 135 Draft Control Spring #2  
Today, I removed the draft control spring assembly from my Massey 135 tractor so I can clean it up and replace the dust boot seal (E). I thought the nut (D) might have given me trouble, but removing the assembly was relatively easy. However, after driving the retaining pin out of the yoke (F), I can't seem to figure out how to screw the yoke (F) off the plunger (B) shaft (A).

Suggestions anyone?

WNKom.jpg

The way they are poositioned, water will run into the threaded portion causing corrosion. It's is most likely siezed and you may have to use the "blue flame wrench" to remove it. It's a special fine thread on the ones I've seen. Try a good pentrating oil, soak it in diesel, etc . When you put back together slather it with a good anti-sieze so you can adjust it, if required.

/ MF 135 Draft Control Spring
The way they are poositioned, water will run ito the thraded portion causing corrosion. It's is most likely siezed and you may have to use the "blue flame wrench" to remove it. It's a special fine thread on the ones I've seen. Try a good pentrating oil, soak it in diesel, etc . When you put back together slather it with a good anti-sieze so you can adjust it if required.

I've tried heating the clevis and soaking it in penetrating oil, but to no avail. Perhaps I need to get it much hotter, cherry red maybe? The biggest problem is that there is nothing on the plunger shaft to get a good grip on because the end of it is rounded. I've tried visegrips, but they just slip off the rounded nub.

/ MF 135 Draft Control Spring #4  
Take a hand grinder and "create" some flat spots on the shank of the bolt. Something a pipe wrench can get a bite on.

/ MF 135 Draft Control Spring
I tried welding a nut to the end of the shaft inside the cup, but the clevis still wouldn't unscrew, it was just too tight.

However, welding a nut to the shaft sparked an idea that finally enabled me to disassemble the draft control spring assembly. I welded the outer edge of the plunger to the cup and heated the threaded portion of the clevis until it was really hot, then used a pipe wrench on the outer surface of the cup, and the end of a bar inserted through the holes in the clevis to apply enough force to break the rust on the threads of the plunger. Even then, it required a considerable amount of force to turn, much more than could ever have been applied using any other methods that were tried.

In the end, it cost me a plunger and cup, but the results will be worth it, especially being able to replace the rubber boot.

Last edited:
   / MF 135 Draft Control Spring #6  
Today, I removed the draft control spring assembly from my Massey 135 tractor so I can clean it up and replace the dust boot seal (E). I thought the nut (D) might have given me trouble, but removing the assembly was relatively easy. However, after driving the retaining pin out of the clevis (F), I can't seem to figure out how to screw the clevis (F) off the plunger (B) shaft (A).

Suggestions anyone?

WNKom.jpg

you have to weld something preferably a small square bar to bolt A then hold the welded bar in the vice and turn clevis F

/ MF 135 Draft Control Spring #7  
this was taken from a CD I bought long ago from the late "Big Dean" the guru of Massey Fergusons, I hope it helps

135lift0001.jpg

/ MF 135 Draft Control Spring #8  
I just drove a chisel down between the plunger & cup, (after removing roll pin) grabbed the cup with pipe wrench or water pump pliers and it spun right off.. That's after being outside since 63.

Last edited: