David Brown 885 leaky sed. bowl

/ David Brown 885 leaky sed. bowl #1  

drf64

Hi,

Newbie here with a DB 885 diesel. Bought the tractor 2 months ago and noticed a leak from the sediment bowl. I suspected the bowl and gasket were both at fault, but getting replacement parts has been a crap shoot. I ended up ordering 2 bowls. One appears to be the correct diameter but is too long. The other is too small in diameter by just a few mm. I finally decided to try replacing it last night and what a mess! First off, why is there no fuel shut off between the tank and the bowl???? Second, after I got the bowl off, it does, as I suspected, have a chip in the glass at the top which i suspect keeps it from sealing. Since neither of the new bowls fit, I replaced the gasket and tried installing the old bowl, but it still leaks. I even tried two gaskets, but it leaks.

Does any one know where I can get the correct bowl and gasket for this tractor?

Thanks, Dan.

/ David Brown 885 leaky sed. bowl
Thanks!

/ David Brown 885 leaky sed. bowl #4  
I know of at least 3 different fuel bowl sediment filters for the 885/995/1210 series, two different sizes of glass and one steel. You can always order the part from a dealer by your serial # and get the right one, but I have fixed the glass bowls before by cleaning the glass well with alcohol, and using some silicone caulk to fill in the chipped out area, waiting a few hours for it to dry, take a razor blade and cut it flat with the rest of the glass, and then putting it back on.

Good luck!

I know of at least 3 different fuel bowl sediment filters for the 885/995/1210 series, two different sizes of glass and one steel. You can always order the part from a dealer by your serial # and get the right one, but I have fixed the glass bowls before by cleaning the glass well with alcohol, and using some silicone caulk to fill in the chipped out area, waiting a few hours for it to dry, take a razor blade and cut it flat with the rest of the glass, and then putting it back on.

Good luck!

Thank you. I would like to try it. If I had a good way to shut off the fuel it would be earsier.

/ David Brown 885 leaky sed. bowl #8  
50$ gets you the entire shebang.. .. me? i'd just be done with it and have a new lift pump and all.. :)

50$ gets you the entire shebang.. .. me? i'd just be done with it and have a new lift pump and all.. :)

Very tempting. The only thing I need to be sure of is that this one is not the longer sized sed bowl. If it is, it won't clear the crankcase cap. I will call them tomorrow and ask about it. Thanks!

/ David Brown 885 leaky sed. bowl #10  
good luck!