Manifold Heat Shield

/ Manifold Heat Shield #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
My Massey 135 tractor has the Continental Z-145 gasoline engine, but the intake/exhaust manifold doesn't have a heat shield, which bothers me because the gas tank sits directly above the engine. Originally, I thought that was the way it was made, until I found a picture of the same engine that is equipped with a heat shield. Granted, the heat shield could have been an addon part, but I like the way it's designed and would like to add one to my own engine.

Is anyone aware of any Continental Z series gasoline engines (Z-129, Z-134, Z145, etc) having been equipped with factory heat shields similar to the one shown in the image below? Also, is the heat sheild available as an addon part?

e3OwO.jpg

/ Manifold Heat Shield
I found another picture of a manifold heat shield for the Continental Z-145 engine from another source which seems to be identical to the first one, so it seem as if it may have been a factory-made part. However, I remain uncertain if it was made by Massey Ferguson or an aftermarket supplier. In any case, the design seems simple enough, so if I'm unable to locate one, I could easily fabricate my own.

1547cd4.jpg

/ Manifold Heat Shield
I was able to locate a Massey Ferguson part number (181144M93) for the intake/exhaust manifold heat shield, which seems to indicate that it may have been a factory part. Perhaps someone who has a parts manual can confirm the number?

/ Manifold Heat Shield
It appears that the Massey Ferguson MF-35 and Ferguson TO-35 also used the same manifold heat shield. I'm now convinced that it was a factory part, now if I can just find one for my tractor. Yes, I'm showing my ignorance here, but I'm learning fast. :)

2n1crw7.jpg

/ Manifold Heat Shield #5  
You have pictures of both sides, the only thing keeping you from making one, is trying to find one online.

Looks like a 30 minute job.......if ya stop for a coffee in between start and finish.:thumbsup:

/ Manifold Heat Shield #6  
That is most definitely an OEM part. AGCO Parts book shows it, and that part number, so they may still carry it.

I used Google, and entered that part number. Found two used ones with price..., but out of stock. Right at $50.00 for either one. So may give you some fair warning on sticker shock, on pricing a new one.

Doesn't look that tough to make if you had access to a MIG and plasma cutter. Looks like a good rainy day project...

/ Manifold Heat Shield
I like to find original parts whenever possible, and know a few local places that may have a used manifold heat shield. You never know, I just might get lucky. However, I agree that one wouldn't be difficult to fabricate and will make one if all else fails. :)

/ Manifold Heat Shield #8  
I do know your current project involves a MF135 Z134. I was curious myself and found no reference to a heat shield on either the British or US models. I found no reference in my 135 manuals. It appears to be for a model 35. Now if your speaking of a 35 then I cAN'T SAY MUCH. I own a 135. I did see replacement heat shield available in the UK but none of them where for a 135. Maybe the ventilation is poor in the 35 as compared to the 135. I do know the 135 went to a four blade fan. What is your concern over a sheild that's not there?

/ Manifold Heat Shield
I do know your current project involves a MF135 Z134. I was curious myself and found no reference to a heat shield on either the British or US models. I found no reference in my 135 manuals. It appears to be for a model 35. Now if your speaking of a 35 then I cAN'T SAY MUCH. I own a 135. I did see replacement heat shield available in the UK but none of them where for a 135. Maybe the ventilation is poor in the 35 as compared to the 135. I do know the 135 went to a four blade fan. What is your concern over a sheild that's not there?

No, as stated in the first post of this thread, my current project involves a Massey 135 with a Continental Z-145 (Not Z-134) gasoline engine.

My concern is that the gas tank sits directly above the intake/exhaust manifold, which tends to get very hot. Numerous people have reported the gas in the tank boiling from the heat, which is something I'd like to avoid. In addition, the exhaust manifold heat shield appears to be a Massey Ferguson factory part (#181144M93) which was included with at least some, if not all tractors, so I'd like to add one to mine. It's a personal preference.

/ Manifold Heat Shield #10  
No, as stated in the first post of this thread, my current project involves a Massey 135 with a Continental Z-145 (Not Z-134) gasoline engine.

My concern is that the gas tank sits directly above the intake/exhaust manifold, which tends to get very hot. Numerous people have reported the gas in the tank boiling from the heat, which is something I'd like to avoid. In addition, the exhaust manifold heat shield appears to be a Massey Ferguson factory part (#181144M93) which was included with at least some, if not all tractors, so I'd like to add one to mine. It's a personal preference.
My 65 is all original and it doesn't have one. It would be easier to use heat shielding made for the auto industry that peels and sticks to the bottom of the tank than fabrication a heat shell. If it didn't come with one that obviously it's not an issue when it was made. Does your have a fan shroud, good circulation in the radiator. Loose fan belt.

I have a fuel filter that sits next almost on top of the exhaust manifold and the other day going slow thru heavy brush while bush hogging the engine shut down. It restarted immediately. When I got out of the brush driving across te field it didn't happen again. I beleive it was vapor locking by boiling the gas in the metal fuel filter. I'm going to relocate it which should solve that problem. If someones gas is boiling in the tank, the engine is getting too hot and points to other issues.