john deere 870 wont start

/ john deere 870 wont start #1  

rnoble

I was work in the back of the house on my tractor it was running fine all of a sudden it spudder twice and shut down. It has a half tank of fuel, I check the filters they were fine, does anyone know how to tell if its the fuel pump or the fuel soenoid thats gonel

Thanks
Robert

/ john deere 870 wont start #2  
Every time my JD 870 dies it is because either I ran low on fuel or my filters have clogged. Are you saying you removed the fuel line from the pump inlet and fuel flows out? The filter by the tank usually clogs before the filter up by the pump. Visual inspection of fuel filters does not tell you if the fuel tank has obstructions or if there is a pinched fuel line or collapsed fuels line. Those lines get gooey if you run biodiesel. Mice also like eating the fuel lines if you run chicken biodiesel.

/ john deere 870 wont start #3  
I was work in the back of the house on my tractor it was running fine all of a sudden it spudder twice and shut down. It has a half tank of fuel, I check the filters they were fine, does anyone know how to tell if its the fuel pump or the fuel soenoid thats gonel

Thanks
Robert

I've run diesels for many years and I can't tell whether a filter is clogged.
One way to tell is to remove the filter outlet line and then open the tank valve and see if fuel runs out. If it doesn't then open the fue filter inlet line. If fuels runs out, the filter is clogged. If it doesn't the tank strainer or upstream fuel line is plugged.

if you have a solenoid in the fuel delivery system, you can turn on the key and feel it open. Some you can hear.