Inertia Wood Splitter

/ Inertia Wood Splitter #1  

TractorBob1529

Silver Member
Tractor
MX5100DT
Been reading about these "inertia" wood splitters like the Super Split, DR Rapid Fire, and the SpeedPro. The last post on these were a couple of months ago. Price for the first two (SS and DR) is a big factor and issues with the third (SP) got me worried about reliability. Has anyone got some long term review of the SP? At half the price of the other's, the SP would be a great buy for me. As always any input, thoughs, concerns, likes and dislikes are welcomed. My two cents. :thumbsup:

/ Inertia Wood Splitter #2  
Been reading about these "inertia" wood splitters like the Super Split, DR Rapid Fire, and the SpeedPro. The last post on these were a couple of months ago. Price for the first two (SS and DR) is a big factor and issues with the third (SP) got me worried about reliability. Has anyone got some long term review of the SP? At half the price of the other's, the SP would be a great buy for me. As always any input, thoughs, concerns, likes and dislikes are welcomed. My two cents. :thumbsup:

The speedpro, is that the one that was made by Speeco and sold at TSC???

if so, I heard they had issues with the rack and pinion breaking teeth. But I dont have any current info on that. Even so, I think speeco offers a pretty generous warrenty. So if you get one with a "problem" rack and pinion, it should be evedent before the warranty is up.

/ Inertia Wood Splitter
The SpeedPro is by SpeeCo from TSC. Looking into getting a wood splitter and considering a SpeedPro since I split solo most of the time. The quicker the better.

Now I know there is more out here that owns, used, or heard of these inertia wood splitter. Let's hear it. Good, bad, and ugly. :laughing:

/ Inertia Wood Splitter #4  
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVAAx3mMKY]WORLDS FASTEST LOGSPLITTER - YouTube[/ame]

I didn't look close enough for a real finger count on this guy, but they look like they are all there :)

/ Inertia Wood Splitter #5  
I thought the concept was neat, I'm not sure about how well they'll hold up, I have seen a couple and each time, they had some type of problem. I'm also getting older and would be concerned about the quick slam. Not saying a regular hydro splitter can't bite but with one of these it'd bite a h377 of a lot faster.

/ Inertia Wood Splitter
TSC is now selling the SpeedPro from Speeco again. Went by my local TSC and was looking around. Saw two sitting outside and I'm glad I asked if they were for sale. The clerk call the manager and said it was not just for sale, but was on sale. $1499.00. I said I'll take one.

Ran it today for about an hours and split more wood than could stack. Almost make you want to get into the firewood business.

/ Inertia Wood Splitter #7  
TSC is now selling the SpeedPro from Speeco again. Went by my local TSC and was looking around. Saw two sitting outside and I'm glad I asked if they were for sale. The clerk call the manager and said it was not just for sale, but was on sale. $1499.00. I said I'll take one.

Ran it today for about an hours and split more wood than could stack. Almost make you want to get into the firewood business.

Have they fixed the issue they were having with the rack and pinion busting gears????

/ Inertia Wood Splitter #8  
Had one in the mid 70's. Can't remember the name of it. It had a little 3hp Briggs and two 70 lb flywheels. The only recurring problem with it was that it had some little roller bearings on the head of the ram and on the mechanism that pushed the rack down into the pinion teeth that would become crudded up and required cleaning off from time to time.
AND there was a learning curve in using it. The trick was to disengage the ram before the ram lost all of it forward motion. Otherwise the ram would not return on it own. PITA
Still I liked it over all. Probably not for everyone though but it was fast & cheaper than hydraulics.
I've since switched to anthracite which is made right here in PA:)

/ Inertia Wood Splitter
According to the sales rep, they had somebody from Speeco to replace the pinions.