Need bow(s) for chain saws

/ Need bow(s) for chain saws #1  

Chain Bender

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200
I know they are as rare as hen's teeth, but I figured if there ever was a place to ask about them this would be the site.

I have an old (late 80's) Husqvarna 266 se that I ran over today and bend the bow pretty bad. I've beat and beat and eye balled and beat some more and have got it so the chain will run/pull though it without dragging. I've folded 220 grit sandpaper twice and run through the groove until it feels pretty smooth, but we all know the minute bends left in the bow will soon wear out a chain.

I also have a Stihl 038 Magnum that I would really love to put a bow on. That is one powerful saw.

If anyone has one or two or knows where I can beg, borrow or steal one please let me know.

thanks in advance,
Chain Bender

/ Need bow(s) for chain saws #2  
I know they are as rare as hen's teeth, but I figured if there ever was a place to ask about them this would be the site.

I have an old (late 80's) Husqvarna 266 se that I ran over today and bend the bow pretty bad. I've beat and beat and eye balled and beat some more and have got it so the chain will run/pull though it without dragging. I've folded 220 grit sandpaper twice and run through the groove until it feels pretty smooth, but we all know the minute bends left in the bow will soon wear out a chain.

I also have a Stihl 038 Magnum that I would really love to put a bow on. That is one powerful saw.

If anyone has one or two or knows where I can beg, borrow or steal one please let me know.

thanks in advance,
Chain Bender

Are you talking abour the bar on the chain saw? There 's a low cost tool to deal with straightening the groove. Look at www.bailleys.com.

/ Need bow(s) for chain saws #3  
I have a Husky 266SE I bought in 1984. Powerful and runs great. I used to have a 20 bar on it and I swapped it out and put in an 18 bar with a smaller chain. You can always by a new bar and a new chain if you need to. Don't forget to grease the tip. I wouldn't trust a straightened bar- get hurt if chain jumps and breaks.

HUSQVARNA 266, 20" BAR & CHAIN COMBO FOR CHAINSAWS | eBay

buy now for 39.95!:laughing::laughing:

/ Need bow(s) for chain saws
Are you talking abour the bar on the chain saw? There 's a low cost tool to deal with straightening the groove. Look at www.bailleys.com.

Well, kinda sorta! They don't make them any more since weekend warriors weren't smart enough to use them. Too many were getting cut badly so they got outlawed. It isn't finger shaped like a bar, it is shaped like half of a bow or bow tie. Will really fell a big tree with a good size saw, say 65+ cc's or 4+ horse power.

CB

/ Need bow(s) for chain saws #5  
You are talking about the bars that are set up in a loop with the center hollow, right? I have seen them on ebay rarely, they can be found and can get expensive.

/ Need bow(s) for chain saws #9  
Bowsaw... there's something that gives me the fear...

Supposed to be much easier on the back though...:D

/ Need bow(s) for chain saws
Bowsaw... there's something that gives me the fear...

Supposed to be much easier on the back though...:D

MUCH MUCH EASIER! Once you get the tree on the ground just stand the saw up on the top of the log and pull the trigger. The weight of the saw will melt through so fast. Although they are more tempremental than a bar, once you learn how to use one you'll wonder why you haven't had one since you bought your first saw.

I took an old Poulan into the shop to have a new pull cord and a carb cleaning and tune up and while I was at the counter two different loggers offered me $200 for just the bow on it.

It's definitely not for limb work or saplings unless you are a bear.

CB