How to make JD 24t square baler tie tighter?

/ How to make JD 24t square baler tie tighter? #1  

jshwhite

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740
I've got a JD 24t baler and the bales are a bit loose. I've got a good bale size and weight, but the twine is just a bit loose - you could just easily pull one off a bale if you wanted.

Can anyone tell me how to make it tie tighter? I'm thinking the spring loaded clamps on the twine box that the twine runs through could be tightened. Am I on the right track?

Thanks

/ How to make JD 24t square baler tie tighter? #2  
Are you baling short thin hay?

/ How to make JD 24t square baler tie tighter?
Somewhat thin at times, but not short.

/ How to make JD 24t square baler tie tighter? #4  
Does the bale sort of sag down a little in the middle when you pick it up? It sounds as if you may not have enough volume of hay entering the bale chamber to keep the bale packed tight during the forming stage. As a result, there痴 not enough 都pring back after it leaves the chamber to really tighten the twine.

Sometimes you make your windrow bigger and that will help or you may have to add some 努edges to the bale chamber. They are basically metal brackets which are angled like a half wedge on one side and bolt inside the chamber. They help to create extra resistance to keep the bale packed tight. Sometimes you may have to add more than one set.

/ How to make JD 24t square baler tie tighter? #5  
I've got a JD 24t baler and the bales are a bit loose. I've got a good bale size and weight, but the twine is just a bit loose - you could just easily pull one off a bale if you wanted.

Can anyone tell me how to make it tie tighter? I'm thinking the spring loaded clamps on the twine box that the twine runs through could be tightened. Am I on the right track?

Thanks

You are not on the right track. Wind down the bale chamber tension springs located on either side of the chamber well behind the needles and knotters.

/ How to make JD 24t square baler tie tighter? #6  
If you can't get the bales tight enough with the tension springs, you need hay restrictors like agriman says.

/ How to make JD 24t square baler tie tighter?
Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I asked. I'll try the bale tensioners and see how that works. I didn't think that was it because the bales seemed to be a good weight, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks

/ How to make JD 24t square baler tie tighter? #8  
Hopefully you have a manual. There is a list of causes for problems such as thiis. For example your situation can also be caused by the machine being slighly out of time. If the plunger is too far ahead, the compression force can be lost if also the hay resistors on the side of the bale case are rusted out or plugged with chaff, mud or other debris.

I always empty out the balse case before the start of a season to check for things like this.