Overcharging problem

/ Overcharging problem #1  

Sharp153

Tractor
Kubota L225
My Kubota L225 overcharges the battery, up to 17 volts. I replaced the voltage regulator with a new regulator. I had the battery and alternator checked. I cleaned the terminals on the regulator and alternator connections. What could be the problem? Is it possibly the new regulator is defective?

/ Overcharging problem #2  
My Kubota L225 overcharges the battery, up to 17 volts. I replaced the voltage regulator with a new regulator. I had the battery and alternator checked. I cleaned the terminals on the regulator and alternator connections. What could be the problem? Is it possibly the new regulator is defective?

I suppose your new regulator could be bad too. But to be on the safe side, make sure that the regulator actually "knows" the system voltage by making sure all the wiring and connections are good.

/ Overcharging problem #3  
your tractor shows the alternator to be external regulated in the box the regulator came in should have been instructions on how to polarize/set the regulator to function if not post several on this site can tell you how

/ Overcharging problem #4  
And after you get the regulator problem fixed, check the battery for water level and cracks in the case. The overcharging causes outgassing really bad that can crack the case due to build up of pressure of hydrogen gas and boils the water in the electrolyte off pretty fast. If you have a crack and a leak of electrolyte you will fight corrosion on the metal parts of the battery area for years.. At least that is what happened to me.. And mine wound up being a loose wire.

James K0UA

/ Overcharging problem #5  
Anything over 14.5 volts presents the possibility of the battery exploding and causing serious damage to anything in its vicinity especially humans.
Today lots of stuff is junk right out of the box, but if not, you need to find out what is allowing the overcharge state to occur, and fix it before that battery goes off like a bomb.

/ Overcharging problem #6  
i think that's a lil on the low side to worry about explosion.. ie 14.5.. quite common to see 14.7v and while rare.. i have seen 15.1.. I wouldn't want that to be long run / low load.. nor would I want higher..

check ground reference from vreg to chassis and alternator.. resistance to ground from the vreg reg reference will be seen as higher output voltage.

/ Overcharging problem #7  
at least the battery is equalized and desulphated! :D couldn't resist...

/ Overcharging problem #8  
Are you relying on the in dash voltmeter for this assessment? If so I would put a handheld unit on it to verify it is reading right.

/ Overcharging problem #9  
Change the battery in your DVM! :thumbsup:

/ Overcharging problem #10  
Change the battery in your DVM! :thumbsup:

Gonna have to agree with that suggestion. I don't think it's possible to get to 17V. The gassing threshold is 14.4V (at 25 deg C). There would be no water left in your battery by the time you over-charged it that much. Your DVM is bad or has a dead battery.