adjustable top link

/ adjustable top link #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
the adjustable top link on my 1710 is not working properly. it jams and is very difficult to turn. if i smack the cross bar with a mallet i can get it to turn and then it jams again. i was thinking of getting a new one at tractor supply when i go into town tomorrow. are all these adjustable top links for cat 1 tractors the same?
i feel like i recall having this happen before and i must have fixed it somehow since this is the original that's messed up now.

/ adjustable top link
i bought a replacement adjustable top link at TS. i didn't realize they come in different lengths. this one is too long at its shortest length. i guess i will have to find one at a dealer or online.

/ adjustable top link #3  
The closest dealer to me for any color is a Case dealer and I often stop in for various things. I backed into a large pile of dirt once and snapped my top link. I didn't know they had different lengths either until I got there and saw a bunch of different options. I would imagine if you went to any dealer, they'll have everything you need in stock. It wasn't very expensive either from my recollection.

/ adjustable top link #4  
Just repair the one that you have. If the threads are not damaged your problem is just rust between the threads. Take it apart (may require heat but it will come apart) clean the threads apply grease and reassemble should work like new. Sometimes spraying it down with a good penetrating oil like pb blaster will work also. We use to have this problem until we started taking them apart and applying grease or anti-seize occasionally.good luck.

/ adjustable top link #5  
Are you trying to turn it with the weight of the implement on it?? Cause if so, then it is near impossible to turn.

If not, and it is indeed binding with no load, take it all the way appart and see if there is any damage to the threads and/or crud in there. Try a light grease or anti-seize and see if it gets any better.

But to answer your question specifically, NO they are not all the same. You can get them in different lengths. Shorten yours up all the way and measure from eye-eye and then go to TSC (or wherever) and buy one that length.

/ adjustable top link
because of BE Lewis's post i tried to fix my original top link. when i took it apart i found that the threads of the middle piece (is this called a spool?)were messed up. so i used the one i got at TS (this is tractor supply)with my tiller. worked fine. the few inches difference in size doesn't seem to matter.
btw, i've had the original top link for 23 years.

Last edited:
   / adjustable top link #7  
I have a pto backhoe ditch king mod# dkin I need a toplink for hooking up. I do not know if my original toplink will do the job or not. if it will not do you have one that will I have a new Holland tn 65 tractor

/ adjustable top link #8