injection pump problem case 580 c

/ injection pump problem case 580 c #1  

jhd69

Tractor
1968 ford 3400
my sons case 580c will start instantly and idle just fine. however when you try to increase engine speed it will increase to about 40 percent speed then starts to buck a little and will not go any higher. he said this problem occurred all at once while using the machine. we have changed fuel filters and bled out same, checked fuel tank for good fuel flow. believe injection pump is faulty. it is a stanadyne dbo 3205 pump. someone mentioned a sheared key could cause this problem. sheared key on what? and if so can i fix it myself? i'd be gratefull for anyones help on this problem. thanks in advance . jd

/ injection pump problem case 580 c
thank you "harry in ky" for your suggestions on the case 580c injection problem. you were dead right. removed fittings and engine ran fine. revved to max rpm. found the little spring loaded ball check in the straight fitting was plugged up like you said. cleaned up everything and reinstalled vent fittings. son said tractor never ran as well as it does now. can t thank you enough . i can tell " you've been there and done that" .thanks again

yours truly
jhd69

/ injection pump problem case 580 c
thank you again harry in ky for the for the tip on the injection pumps impending demise. at least you bought us some time and my son is getting his work done for now. one more good weeks work and we can shut her down and have the pump rebuilt. we are grateful for the help. you saved the day for us.
jhd69

and son

/ injection pump problem case 580 c #4  
Where is the little spring loaded ball check in the straight fitting you refer to. My Case was running and after about three months sitting will not restart. Blew out return lines & fuel lines ,changed filters. Dont seem to be getting any fuel past the return. Any suggestions to getting it started? Thanks David

/ injection pump problem case 580 c #5  
I have a early 80's 580 Case. Starts fine and runs for about 5 mins. then RPM start slowing and finally dies. It starts right back up and does the same thing again.
I checked the check valve on top of the pump, changed both fuel filters, made sure no air was in the lines. Getting plenty of fuel from the tank to the pump. It does start smoking black smoke just before it dies. Can you me???

/ injection pump problem case 580 c #7  
Thank You for your answer. I removed the return line and and blew air thru it. I then left it un hooked and let it run into a bucket and their was no difference. It still only ran a min. or so. ???

/ injection pump problem case 580 c #8  
Remove the fitting as well, not just the return line and see what that does.

/ injection pump problem case 580 c #9  
No smoking ?
I had it on a 6 sil MF 3120 . As it was coming to operating temp the toleranses became to much in the inj pump and it did not want to start again .A rebuild of the inj pump did the trick !
The chokecable do return fully back for starting ?

/ injection pump problem case 580 c #10  
I removed the fitting and tried running it with out the line and fitting. Fuel came out of the line Ok. But it did the same thing again. It ran for about a min. started smoking and died. I made sure the return line was clear all the way to the tank. No restrictions.