Fix it or throw it???

/ Fix it or throw it??? #1  

Neo

Tractor
JD L110, MTD Yardman, Toro Wheelhorse 268-H, JD LA120
Hi all,

I recently picked up a cheap "for parts" mower with an 18HP Motor...Kohler Command V-Twin (CV18s)

After close inspection I noticed the right hand piston did not move when I rotated the engine and there was a knock/clacking sound at one point in the rotation.

So I took the head off and I can see the Piston is jambed at (or near) the bottom of the cylinder. I tired tapping the piston top with a mallet and bar but it won't budge.

The crankcase and block are one on these engines so next step is a total strip down, but...
Could the cast iron cylinder liner be too badly damaged to save the block?
Could a broken con rod cause too much damage on the crank case?

Also, has anyone take these V-Twin engines apart before?....How hard are they to open up?

IS THIS ENGINE WORTH FIXING UP?

I can also see I need a screw-up puller to pull off the PTO and pulleys? .. Where do I find one of these?

Many thanks.
Neo

IMG_05971.jpg

/ Fix it or throw it??? #2  
There is a lot that goes into trying to fix a broken rod. You need mics to take measurements of the bore, the crankshaft journal etc. In my opinion, I would not fix it. You will have quite a bit of money in fixing it. You can find a service and parts manual here Kohler Engines: Owners and Service Manuals: Manuals and Maintenance

/ Fix it or throw it??? #3  
Well if you have a good amount of spare time and a small pile of cash you don't need then go for it. Or it could be a good learning item on those motors. I have the Kohler 25Hp on my chipper and it has been a great motor.. I think if you search further down the Main index on this website you will find a forum for Kohler or Lawn mowers. See what sort of information has been posted on there.

/ Fix it or throw it??? #4  
The only way you'll know if it's worth salvaging is to take it apart and see. If the crankshaft is not damaged and the cylinder wall is not scored, I see it as being salvageable. All you would need is a connecting rod, rod bearings, and possibly a piston and rings.

/ Fix it or throw it??? #5  
Like my Dad usta say--"how bad is too bad?"
If you are looking for a power source that gets 10-20hrs use per year, such as a "personal" wood splitter, a little scoring on a cylinder wall won't be a problem. If the motor is for a "communal use" machine, where reliability is a big factor, then let the "community" pay for a new engine (and its repairs when someone screws up)....

You know that this engine won't be perfect. Can you "take it easy" when you use it, knowing that it has saved you a bunch of bucks over the cost of a new one?

/ Fix it or throw it???
My thanks to everyone for your quick replies.
I have another ride-on so I have the time and I like the project. But I spoke to the Kohler importers and parts and re-boring will come to around $700. I can buy a 24HP brand new $1,200 so think I'm going to throw it.

All the best.
Neo

/ Fix it or throw it??? #7  
My thanks to everyone for your quick replies.
I have another ride-on so I have the time and I like the project. But I spoke to the Kohler importers and parts and re-boring will come to around $700. I can buy a 24HP brand new $1,200 so think I'm going to throw it.

All the best.
Neo

I would check on a short block as opposed to a complete engine. Seems like the short block that I purchased for a 25hp Kohler was in the $6-800 range. Really not a bad job- maybe 2-3 hours if you have the tools.

Jim

/ Fix it or throw it??? #8  
G'day Neo in my exp it is cheaper over here to bin it and go new rather than repair to that extent (we are an agent for them as well).If you have got the time to rip into it then do so you have nothing to loose only the experience to gain, they are a pretty easy engine to work on. As for your puller you are chasing try your local supercheap/repco or any of the bearing sales joints should have what you are looking for, just don't go for the cheapest as some of them won't even hold up to first time use.

Jon

/ Fix it or throw it???
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your (local) thoughts on that :) ... I am of the same opinion now.

So can I pull the pulley with a big 3 legged or 2 legged puller? ... or do I need a different type?

Thanks again.
Neo

/ Fix it or throw it???
Curiosity got to me so I ended up getting the engine out and opening it up.

The Con rod and 80% of the piston have been chewed up and the cam shaft has had clean break right near the drive pinion. The 2nd con rod has taken some knocks but apart from that I was surprised it wasn't worse.

Theres no scores on the crankshaft or the cylinder but to rebuild this engine for a sensible figure (compared Tia new engine) I'd have to use 2nd hand parts and new rings..... but would it last if I did that?... Any thoughts on that gents?

All the best.
Neo