Emptying ballasted tires

/ Emptying ballasted tires #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
I have sold a pair of 44-18 x 20 R-3's and the buyer does not want the ballast (calcium). any suggestions on the quickest way to empty? I have a 55 gal drum and will pump the ballast into some R-4's from the drum. Just trying to come up with the best way to empty.
thx

/ Emptying ballasted tires #2  
Use same pump you would for filling just hook up the pump inlet to the tire then put valve stem at 6 O'clock. Those 12 volt pumps used on small sprayers work real good. If these are tubless and don't want the tires dismounted you stop part way through the suction process and let some air in. When I was pump water out my tires last Fall to add anti-freeze I sucked the bead off 1 of the rims doing this.

/ Emptying ballasted tires
Use same pump you would for filling just hook up the pump inlet to the tire then put valve stem at 6 O'clock. Those 12 volt pumps used on small sprayers work real good. If these are tubless and don't want the tires dismounted you stop part way through the suction process and let some air in. When I was pump water out my tires last Fall to add anti-freeze I sucked the bead off 1 of the rims doing this.
Thx Dennis- I was concerned about how the pump can get suction (I'm using a double diaphram air pump) with no air. Also once you get to the point where the liquid isbelow the bead/valve, I suppose you have to take the valve off and put a narrow suction tube in to pull the "heel"??

/ Emptying ballasted tires #4  
I saw this done at a dealer once.
Once the tire was removed, they removed the valve, and the ballast squirted out like a squirt gun. It was directed into a large bucket. When the tire deflated he filled it with air again (no valve), and repeated the process while rolling/sitting on the tire until most of the ballast was removed.
It was a little sloppy, and took about 5 minutes.
Not saying this is the best way, and granted the goal was to save most of the ballast,but it worked.

/ Emptying ballasted tires #5  
that's how most of us do it.. then to get the last lil bit out.... a plastic tube stuck downt he valve stem hole will get the last lil bit out...

/ Emptying ballasted tires
that's how most of us do it.. then to get the last lil bit out.... a plastic tube stuck downt he valve stem hole will get the last lil bit out...

GC, SG,
thx guys for the input.

/ Emptying ballasted tires #7  
Clamp a tube/hose around the valve so you can blo air in and direct fluid out. ... no mess
larry