Clutch issues

/ Clutch issues #1  

broncobilly69

Tractor
IH 424
I let out the clutch in 4th gear high range yesterday on my 66 IH 424. the engine stayed reved but I wasn't moving much. Since the pedal engages well before it's all the way out I'm guessing it's not an adjustment issue.
So what does it take to change a clutch on these anyways, doesn't seem like I can just drop the tranny.
Thanks for any info.

/ Clutch issues #2  
Split it at the bellhousing. Unhook throttle and choke connections, wiring, clutch rod, etc. May need to support the fuel tank, if bolted the back of the engine block.

A nice level garage floor is a big help. I usually support the front half,and roll the rear away. Be sure and wedge the front end on the axle to keep it from pivoting.Block front wheels fore, and aft.

A heavy trans. jack, or HD low cart is great under the rear half. Just have to block and shim to get the correct height to keep things level.

Once apart, it is pretty well in the wide open. I believe the flywheel is still recessed on these models, so no need for an alignment tool. Although once it's going back together, you may need to release the clutch, so as to let it properly align.

Check the pilot bushing for wear in the crankshaft. We always put just a dab of bearing grease in the dimple of the clutch shaft. A bit on the end of your finger, and just even across the front of the shaft.

I like to use longer bolts, like 8" of the same size as the bellhousing bolts to align going back together,as guide pins, so to speak.

Just don't force the shaft through the clutch plate. It will spring it. On my smaller models with live power, (engaged with clutch) I engage the PTO,and turn the PTO shaft with a wrench, to help align. You can feel the teeth of the shaft fall into the grooves in the clutch plate.

Some shaking, and jiggling, and it should go right back together.

I'm sure I left out something, but that's the majority of it. Not as bad as it sounds...,although the condition of the rear engine seal may provide you with another repair.

Even an I&T manual will get you through this, if you have none other.

/ Clutch issues #3  
that tractor has a adjustable clutch.i would make sure it is adjusted all the way out.before replacing it.

/ Clutch issues #4  
that tractor has a adjustable clutch.i would make sure it is adjusted all the way out.before replacing it.

Before making any adjustments, how does it operate in the other gears? Are you (the OP) getting any slippage in a low gear?

/ Clutch issues
Thanks DJ54, that is very detailed, I'll definitely have that printed out if I end up doing it. :thumbsup:

Cowski, the only adjustment I saw from reading the manual was the little screw that adjusts the pedal stop and turning the clutch pedal on the shaft and re-tightening it. I have at least 2 inches of free travel before the clutch starts to disengage. Am I missing another adjustment?

RoyJackson, I have not had any other issues in any gear. The before mentioned incident is the only indication I have had. Is there some other issue I could be missing or is it possible that it was fluke?

I really appreciate all the info. :thumbsup:

/ Clutch issues #6  
RoyJackson, I have not had any other issues in any gear. The before mentioned incident is the only indication I have had. Is there some other issue I could be missing or is it possible that it was fluke?

I really appreciate all the info. :thumbsup:

A clutch issue should affect all gears and be more noticable in a low gear...more slippage, I would think...

/ Clutch issues
I was thinking with the increased mechanical advantage the tires would slip before the clutch would in lower gears. When it slipped in 4 hi I dropped to 3H and it worked fine. I was moving in 4H with the clutch out, but no where near as fast as I should have been. Come to think of it, I haven't tried putting it in 4H since, but 4L works just fine.
I definitely don't want to change a clutch that doesn't need changing though. I have enough other stuff to do :)

/ Clutch issues
Maybe I'll hold off for a little bit and see if i have any other issues. Don't want to waste time and money if it doesn't need to be done.