Lift arm ball joints frozen on shaft.

/ Lift arm ball joints frozen on shaft. #1  

chupacabra

Bronze Member
Tractor
iseki 1300TX
My lift arm ball joints are frozen to the shaft and I can't remove the arms. One arm is completly seperated from the frozen ball. Can i heat them to unfreeze them and then whack them off with a hammer?

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 593
   / Lift arm ball joints frozen on shaft. #2  
Chup,

I would not know, so I Goggled to try to find an answer. Here is one that applies to a vehicle, but could answer your question for the tractor. They used a sledgehammer , so it would appear you would be OK. But here is the URL and maybe it helps.

How to Separate Frozen Ball Joints | eHow.com

Here is an extract form this link:
#2...
Pull the cotter pin out of the upper control arm ball joint with the needle-nose pliers, then unbolt the upper control arm ball joint nut from the upper control arm with an open-end wrench. Spray the penetrating spray in the gap between the ball joint and the steering knuckle.

# 3

Strike the side of the steering knuckle with the sledgehammer to attempt to wedge the ball joint free from the steering knuckle. Attempt this several times and if it does not break free, then proceed to the next step.
# 4

Insert the pickle fork between the upper control arm ball joint and the steering knuckle. Strike the end of the pickle fork with the sledgehammer to try to wedge the pickle fork between the ball joint and the steering knuckle, breaking the two apart. Attempt this several times, and if it doesn't work, proceed to the next step.
# 5

Install the pickle fork attachment to the air hammer and the air hammer to the air compressor. Insert the pickle fork into the suspension just like you did in step 4, but now pull the trigger on the air hammer to push the pickle fork forward. Do this until the ball joint separates.

Read more: How to Separate Frozen Ball Joints | eHow.com How to Separate Frozen Ball Joints | eHow.com

Jim

/ Lift arm ball joints frozen on shaft. #3  
In the picture it looks like the ball might be one piece with a sleive that slides over the shaft (on the inner side). Is there any hope of removing the whole shaft to work on it?
No chance of an allen key in behind holding things together?
If the arm was on the ball where it belongs, would there be any need for the ball to move on the shaft?

/ Lift arm ball joints frozen on shaft. #4  
Just be careful not to overheat,in case there is a. seal that could melt. I've cut bearing races off shafts with no problems.

/ Lift arm ball joints frozen on shaft.
If the arm was still on the ball, I could use the lift. Somehow it popped off so I need to remove the ball from the shaft so that I can get the arm off so I can go buy a new ball and press it in the arm. But, I first have to get the ball off. It all just slid on when new, but that was a while back. The shaft itself moves fine, but the ball will not. Nor will the ball on the other side. I am going to try to hook up a gear puller on it, heat the ball somewhat, and give that a go. If I could get one side off, then I can pull the whole shaft out. Thanks for your suggestions and I am headed out to try some more.

/ Lift arm ball joints frozen on shaft. #6  
First I would ask what you are trying to accomplish??

And you trying to remove the shaft? or simply put the ball back on the arm?

If you are trying to remove the shaft, (it looks like it is already part way out), can you continue to remove it and use a press? And if you are trying to take the ball OFF the shaft, a die grinder and a little slit lengthwise and she should slide off by hand.

If you are trying to drive it back ON, becarefull with the heat. I dont know your model, but some tractors have that shaft runnign through the differential with a seal on each end. You dont want to melt that seal. Also, you dont want to take that shaft out if this is the case until you drain the oil:thumbsup:

IF you are trying to put it back on, I'd get a peice of pipe that JUST slips over the pin, and possibly remove that tire to get a better swing with the hammer.

Pat31rf, you are right about the ball and sleeve being one piece. It came that way hooked up to the arm with the 3 point lift system. Now I think I will take the advice of LD1 and put a slit in the ball and try to chisel it off someway.

/ Lift arm ball joints frozen on shaft. #8  
Pat31rf, you are right about the ball and sleeve being one piece. It came that way hooked up to the arm with the 3 point lift system. Now I think I will take the advice of LD1 and put a slit in the ball and try to chisel it off someway.

If you get it slitted all the way through, is should fall off. If you are worried about messing up the shaft, dont quite grind all the way through, then use a chisel like a wedge and give it a few pops, you will see it when it pops appart. The cut line will expand. She will pull off by hand then:thumbsup:

Have had to do a lot of bearing races this way

Still won't budge! I put a air chisel to it to try and loosen it. Any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• progress 001.jpg
    progress 001.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 291
  • progress 002.jpg
    progress 002.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 248
  • progress 003.jpg
    progress 003.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 712
   / Lift arm ball joints frozen on shaft. #10  
Heat it up with a torch,and put a pipe wrench on it,to break it loose.