Splitting tractor for clutch repair

/ Splitting tractor for clutch repair #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
My Kubota M 6800 needed a new clutch. Sadly, it only had 600 hours, but I am afraid that extensive use of the grapple (using a tractor for bulldozer tasks!) really took its toll on the clutch. I priced a new clutch from my dealer and also looked at clutches on EBay from tractorclutchesrus.com. The savings on parts alone was $800!! So I ordered the four parts online from them, and they were really knowledgeable and good to work with. THe parts arrived in several days and looked great. THey were aftermarket parts, but look identical to what came out of the Kubota. They explained to me that the clutches Kubota sells are made most likely in the same factory in China anyway. Regardless, for $800, I thought it was worth taking a risk. So far, I am happy. I took the loader off myself, and have an old retired gentleman doing the part that requires skill. My old clutch was shot! The flywheel also needed resurfacing. Here are some pixs of the tractor split for those of you (like me) who had never seen it done. I also will post some pictures of the old clutch.

Attachments

• phone pix of planter disc 058.jpg
    phone pix of planter disc 058.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 5,282
  • phone pix of planter disc 062.jpg
    phone pix of planter disc 062.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 11,085
  • phone pix of planter disc 057.jpg
    phone pix of planter disc 057.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 1,770
   / Splitting tractor for clutch repair #2  
G'day good to see you are well one the way to get going again, you are not the only one to do a clutch in short hours my father thinks that our old belarus is a dozer i'm sure:laughing:. I have put 4 clutches in that thing over the years as I don't drive it very often and every time I did the clutch would have no freeplay and if I said anything it was always " I thought it was ok its not slipping oh maybe occasionaly:(" . The last clutch I fitted was a ceramic button one and it is holding up well has passed the 4-600 hour mark the ole ones would last and is still going strong.

Jon

/ Splitting tractor for clutch repair #3  
I'm right at the same spot as you are on my L4240. I'm putting a seal and the housing right behind the throw out bearing. I had mine split in just a few hours, waiting for the parts now.
I made this dollie when I did my B7800 and it works on my L4240

Attachments

• IMG_1054a.jpg
    IMG_1054a.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 5,639
   / Splitting tractor for clutch repair #4  
Good pics, it looks like I'm going to be doing the same thing to my 66 IH 424. Nice to see how you guys are separating them. I think I need to break down and buy a floor jack.

/ Splitting tractor for clutch repair #5  
Leejohn, I cant see how that jack works? Is it setting on the floor? It looks like everthing is welded.

Oh, and I took your advice and cut my lift arm end off and had it welded back. It is all back together now.

/ Splitting tractor for clutch repair
Picked it up today and re-installed my FEL. That took a couple of hours. This old fellow charged me $650 labor, so I got a new clutch for just over a grand, or about half what my dealer quoted. I am very happy.

/ Splitting tractor for clutch repair #7  
I'm right at the same spot as you are on my L4240. I'm putting a seal and the housing right behind the throw out bearing. I had mine split in just a few hours, waiting for the parts now.
I made this dollie when I did my B7800 and it works on my L4240

How many hours on the 4240? Nice looking cart, necessity is the mother of invention.:thumbsup:

/ Splitting tractor for clutch repair #8  
i just finished putting a ferguson clutch pressure plate and throw-out bearing in my 1952 fergie