Tractor
    1940s mccormick deering 0-4, 170 allis chalmer, 950 john deere, 7030 and 7040 allis chalmer 986 international

Default 170 allis chalmer cooling problems

i rebuilt a 170 allis chalmer, i put all new pistons, sleeves, bearings, crank and seals in. i started it an it ran for a hour or so then i turned it off and started it again and the water in the radiator came all bubling out the top. the only awnser i could think of was the new water pump was craeting more presure than the radiator could handel. any ideas????

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Default Re: 170 allis chalmer cooling problems

Quote Originally Posted by nattynuts5886 View Post
    i rebuilt a 170 allis chalmer, i put all new pistons, sleeves, bearings, crank and seals in. i started it an it ran for a hour or so then i turned it off and started it again and the water in the radiator came all bubling out the top. the only awnser i could think of was the new water pump was craeting more presure than the radiator could handel. any ideas????
    Several possibilities. I wouldn't suspect the new water pump.

Did you check the cylinder head for warpage when you removed it? If it's not within about 0.002" of being flat, you could have some leakage from the head gasket. Did you correctly( pattern AND torque ) torque the head down with the new gasket? I always retorque the head after running it for an hour and bringing it to operating temperature.

With the engine runnning and at operating temperature (thermostat open) do you see streams of tiny bubbles continuously forming in the coolant? That's the sign of a head gasket leak.

Did you fill it with coolant without the thermostat housing on, or without the thermostat installed so you didn't trap a bunch of air in the head or the cooling jacket?

Finally, most raditors without an overflow bottle require filling to about 1/4" above the rad core to allow for coolant expansion when it heats up. Filling it higher that this will result coolant running out the overflow.

Tractor
    1940s mccormick deering 0-4, 170 allis chalmer, 950 john deere, 7030 and 7040 allis chalmer 986 international

Default Re: 170 allis chalmer cooling problems

thanks, got new radiotor cause other one was to leaky and it sloved my problem no head leaks and sealed up real nice