Brakes on 1948 Super A Farmall

/ Brakes on 1948 Super A Farmall #1  

freddie1047

Tractor
1948 Farmall Super A
How hard is it to do a brake job and what parts are needed besides bands and springs? Thanks, Freddie

/ Brakes on 1948 Super A Farmall #2  
If you have a chain hoist on a beam, or even a shop crane, it makes it a LOT easier..!! Easier if you remove tires and wheels. Final drives need to be removed, hence the moveable sideways chain hoist on an over head beam, or shop crane. I've used both.

You'll need to remove the fenders, and on the drivers side, the foot platform, seat etc.

Not that bad of a job really, just seem times consuming.

The only springs I can recall, are under the foot platform. Bands just slide on a pin. You may need to look and see if seals are needed. Axle hounsing will need to be removed from the left side. Gear oil underneath the housing, a the the weep holes, is a pretty good sign.

A good penetrant like PB Blaster is a help too. And I always re-assemble using Never-Seize, making it easier for the next guy to take apart... "Cause the next guy may be me..!!

/ Brakes on 1948 Super A Farmall
DJ54,
Thanks for the quick reply. It sounds a bit over my head. Wish you were in my neighborhood-you could make a few bucks.
Thanks, Freddie

/ Brakes on 1948 Super A Farmall #4  
Even with an I&T manual, and a few tools, it's really not that bad. Just one of those cheapie hydraulic engine puller/cranes are life savers on these smaller tractors.

Yup, if you were a little closer, you'd be more than welcome to use the shop, tools, etc., and I could help you out...

Some DIY work like this is interesting to see how things work. And if you work on several different models, can appreciate the engineering that went in to making repairs pretty simple, as in the field if needed. Then others make you wonder... What were they thinking..?? LOL...

/ Brakes on 1948 Super A Farmall #5  
Thanks for the info, we just brought a Super A from our farm in GA To TX and the first think I noticed was there was absolutely no right brake - when I pointed this out to my Dad he just said " oh yeah, if I had to stop I just turned it off..." bogie

/ Brakes on 1948 Super A Farmall #6  
Seems the right brake gets used a lot more than the left. Basic stop brake, helping to make sharp right turns, and being the light side, feathered when the right wheel slips. Mine are rarely locked together.

/ Brakes on 1948 Super A Farmall #7  
Makes sense, with the offset it was always easier to turn to the right and the many times I got into trouble turning and had to stomp down on the right brake of our Cub to make it--wht is it they say about payback...