Wax and Grease Remover

/ Wax and Grease Remover #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
Can anyone suggest a good wax and grease remover, to be used prior to priming/painting bare metal?

Previously, I've always used Prep-All with good results, but it seems that my local sources have all dried up and buying it online is not an option because shipping it would cost more than buying it. I'd like to find something that is carried by Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Napa, Autozone, or Advance Auto Parts.

The website for the makers of Prep-All claim that Walmart, Lowes and many others carry it, but that is not the case, at least not here anyway.

Prep-All - Klean-Strip Automotive

/ Wax and Grease Remover #2  
All of those places sell Mineral Spirits
Have you considered using Zinc Phosphate before painting?
Its supposed to work great for prepping bare metal

/ Wax and Grease Remover
All of those places sell Mineral Spirits
Have you considered using Zinc Phosphate before painting?
Its supposed to work great for prepping bare metal

I haven't had very good luck with mineral spirits, probably because the stuff that's locally available isn't very pure. Normally, I sandblast, clean, prime, then paint. Occasionally, I also use an etching primer on bare metal, prior to priming it for paint, but I've never used zinc phosphate for bare metal prep.

/ Wax and Grease Remover #4  
Paint thinner and acetone work pretty good

/ Wax and Grease Remover #5  
Acetone is the best cleaner but it is flammable and it will eat up many plastics and you will need some good chemical gloves to wear when applying it. Also need pure cotton rags to apply it with as lots of the polyesters seem to dissolve.

/ Wax and Grease Remover #6  
Gary Fowler said:
Acetone is the best cleaner but it is flammable and it will eat up many plastics and you will need some good chemical gloves to wear when applying it. Also need pure cotton rags to apply it with as lots of the polyesters seem to dissolve.

You can buy a box of 100% cotton rags. You don't need to where anything special. It will evaporator real fast if there's any wind at all.

/ Wax and Grease Remover #8  
Wax and grease remover works by suspending or floating the contaminates, allowing them to be wiped from the surface. You can wipe on with one rag and off with another. Another way that I prefer is to use a spray bottle to apply the w&g remover and then wipe with a rag.

Acetone, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, etc. should not be used as w&g remover mainly because they evaporate too quickly to allow the contaminates to be wiped off. These products are not intended to be used this way and in some cases could actually cause contamination.

Acid wash products: don't use them. They can leave residue inside seams and gaps especially that can cause rust. Acid wash does work well for removing rust on solid parts that don't have anywhere for the acid to hide. Acid must be washed off WHEN WET. If allowed to dry, the acid will need to be reactivated with acid, then washed off. The best way to neutralize acid: don't use it to begin with.

Now, back to your original question. I use Southern Polyurethanes wax and grease remover. Part #700 (waterborne) and #710 (solvent based). Call them at 706-781-2220 and they will ship it to you (free shipping). Another option would be to get some from an automotive paint store. I would not use anything from any of the big box stores when it comes to wax and grease remover.

/ Wax and Grease Remover
I use Southern Polyurethanes wax and grease remover. Part #700 (waterborne) and #710 (solvent based).

I was wondering if it might be possible to make my own wax and grease remover by blending various chemical ingredients commonly available at the hardware store.

However, manufacturers of wax and grease removers are often vague about the exact ingredients they contain, so I turned to the material safety data sheets to determine what the ingredients were. Even then, they are still vague, but the CAS number is a dead giveaway to the chemical and common names of each ingredient. Using Klean Strip Prep-All and #710 Wax & Grease Remover as a basis for comparison, it seems that mineral sprits, naptha, and toluene make up the bulk of the ingredients, with either cyclohexane or heptane being used as a non-polar solvent to remove wax.

Klean Strip Prep-All:
CAS#64742-89-8 Naphtha 60-100% (industrial solvent, white gas, Coleman fuel)
CAS#805241-3 Mineral Spirits 7-13% (stoddard solvent, paint thinner)
CAS#108-88-3 Toluene 5-10% (common solvent, paint thinner)
CAS#142-82-5 Heptane 1-5% (non-polar solvent)

#710 Wax & Grease Remover:
CAS#805241-3 Mineral Spirits 50-80% (stoddard solvent, paint thinner)
CAS#64742-89-8 Naphtha 10-30% (industrial solvent, white gas, Coleman fuel)
CAS#108-88-3 Toluene 1-10% (common solvent, paint thinner)
CAS#110-82-7 Cyclohexane 1-10% (non-polar solvent)

Using the data shown above, one can deduce the approximate percentage of each ingredient. Note the differences in the amount of Naphtha and Mineral Spirits used in each, which raises the question... Which is better Naphtha or Mineral Spirits? Naphtha evaporates more quickly and is less oily than mineral spirits, so it seems that Naphtha would be a better solvent. However, Mineral spirits is better for thinning oils, varnishes, and oil-based paints.

Klean Strip Prep-All:
Naphtha - 80%
Mineral Spirits - 10%
Toluene - 8%
Heptane - 2%

#710 Wax & Grease Remover:
Mineral Spirits - 70%
Naphtha - 20%
Toluene - 5%
Cyclohexane - 5%

Solvent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
White spirit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Naphtha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Toluene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cyclohexane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Heptane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Curiously, the ingredients of both are very similar to those of WD-40.

WD-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
   / Wax and Grease Remover #10  
I mostly use acetone, and when I use it, I don't wipe, I brush wash instead. I turn the object up on edge, etc, and start at the top and brush the acetone on with a paint brush, and make the acetone run down and off the part. Every part of it gets brushed. This may be a stupid technique but my painting results have been adequate for me so far.