Ford 2000 fuel problems.....again

/ Ford 2000 fuel problems.....again #1  

ldammeyer

Tractor
Ford 2000 3 Cylinder
It has been one thing after the other with my 3 cylinder gas burner this spring/summer after running like a top for years....so here goes.

Earlier this spring I went to start my tractor and it would not start - valves were stuck from not putting Stabil in gas over winter.

After fixing and reassembling it will start, run for 2 minutes at idle, and then just plain stop.

I went ahead and removed the fuel pump from the loop and still the same thing.

Today I replace the fuel shut off assembly and reintroduced the fuel pump to the loop - same result...runs 2 minutes, stops dead.

But, with the fuel pump back in loop it wont restart at all.

This time I hooked the fuel line straight into the carb - same result, starts, runs 2 minutes, stops dead.

All lines have been removed and blown out, most have been replaced with new lines - there is an inline filter right before it goes in the carb....on a few experimentation runs i removed it to see if it was culprit...same results with or without it in loop.

This is driving me crazy, I have worked on it 6 hours today.....

Does anyone know if the pump has to be purged or primed to work....could it have seized up from bad gas too? If so, I have a spare pump but it looks almost impossible to change without removing the radiator.

Could it be the old Holley carburetor? Seems most posts say dump the Holley and get a zenith...lot of $$$, but time/value is in play now...

I did notice on close inspection that the gas line from the shutoff valve has tight bend that looks to restrict gas flow, maybe under load that is an issue...will replace tomorrow.

Any suggestions, observations, etc would be great.....

Thanks everyone.....I

/ Ford 2000 fuel problems.....again #2  
got a hand primer pump of 4 psi electric to test it with?

/ Ford 2000 fuel problems.....again #3  
The first thing that comes to my mind is the vented fuel cap, maybe try leaving it off ? and the second thing would be ignition , hot coil, bad condenser ..

/ Ford 2000 fuel problems.....again #4  
bad condensors CAN cause points to burn.. but that doesn't heal.. IE.. once it went bad.. it would not restart without points dressing...

occasionally you get ones that short.. and those could heal.. but it's not where I'd spend much time past a ohm meter and volt meter test looking.

/ Ford 2000 fuel problems.....again
Soundguy said:
bad condensors CAN cause points to burn.. but that doesn't heal.. IE.. once it went bad.. it would not restart without points dressing...

occasionally you get ones that short.. and those could heal.. but it's not where I'd spend much time past a ohm meter and volt meter test looking.

The short has crossed my mind, but it does restart and always seems to quit right at 2 minutes....Almost seems like that's all the bowl holds...I do not have a hand primer...are you thinking I need to prime it?

/ Ford 2000 fuel problems.....again
Maybe the float is needle is stuck or sticking......after it sits for a while the bowl fills up and then once the float drops it quits....

/ Ford 2000 fuel problems.....again #7  
with a hand pump you could keep it fed fuel to rule out a delivery issue.

yes.. I'd investigate float issue.

as for the condensor.. and open would burn the points.. 1 time.

a short would produce no spark. a healing short could keep doing it.. but is easy to test at moment of deat.. if you have spark.. quit looking at ignition.. it's a quick go/no go test.

I'm thinking fuel on this one for sure..