JD 2010 won't start

/ JD 2010 won't start #1  

meadowcreek

Tractor
john deere 2010
Not sure if this should be posted in a JD forum, but it may be a general question? Have a 2010 diesel and the starting process is to turn the key, hold a minute and a half for the glow plugs to get it going and it always started right up. Now this doesn't happen. It will start if I plug it in the block heater and let is warm up for a hours. . Does this sounds like the glow plugs need to be replaced? Any other ideas? Please excuse me if I am not asking this correctly, trying to get the right words together to explain this problem. Thanks!

/ JD 2010 won't start #2  
Can you check to see if the glow plugs are getting power? ... Sounds like a loose wire or bad switch.
Not likely all the glow plugs went bad suddenly.
larry

/ JD 2010 won't start #3  
Not familiar with your tractor model but 1.5 minutes sounds like a very long time for powering the glow plugs. Only one of my diesels needs glow plug warming above freezing and that is 5 seconds. The most Mine recommend is 30 seconds at -20F. What ambient temp are you operating in? I first suspect the glow plug relay assuming your system has one, then the glow plugs or fuse/circuit breaker. I am also assuming for your glow plug power requirement there will be a relay but that might not be true for a 1.5 minute power on because that is a long time so it may be a lower power draw than what I am accustomed to.

/ JD 2010 won't start
Larry, thanks- this is the kind of suggestions I am looking for. I will see if I can check this tonight.
________

MHarryE, I have often wondered about the length of time, those were the instructions that I recieved from the previous owner and I have been doing it that way for about 25 years!
Usually only start it for hay making temps.
Very good suggestions as well. Will try to rule these things out too. Thanks

/ JD 2010 won't start
In answer to Larry's question, the glow plugs were tested with a test light and all 4 showed there IS power to the top of them. The tractor by the way was thought to be a 1960, but after some research it appears that the glow plugs were added in 1963 on this model.
And I agree it seems unlikely all 4 would go at once, but do you think if even one went, it would make it impossible for the other 3 to get it started? Like it needs4?

/ JD 2010 won't start #6  
Well ... maybe only one was working and it was starting the tractor ... altho I think you said it started right up and if only 1 was working Id think the cold ones would chug for awhile. I have 2010 Gas so Im not truly familiar, but can you take off the wire and put your light between the wire and the top of the plug? If it lights there is a circuit thru that plug and the plug should work. As a last check, set aside the light and try touching the wire to the plug. There should be a noticeable spark since the plug should pull a few Amps.
larry