Hydraulic cylinder disassembly

/ Hydraulic cylinder disassembly #1  

twosocks90

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF35 Utility (gas)
One of the power steering cylinders on my MF35 Utility is leaking badly. It's an aftermarket cylinder. I ordered a rebuild kit but can't figure out how to take it apart. There was a snap ring on the rod end of the cylinder which I removed but still, nothing comes apart.

Pics are below. I believe it's a Tisco cylinder. I called them and they have no schematics available.

How can I get inside the cylinder?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 557
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 1,325
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 358
   / Hydraulic cylinder disassembly #2  
One of the power steering cylinders on my MF35 Utility is leaking badly. It's an aftermarket cylinder. I ordered a rebuild kit but can't figure out how to take it apart. There was a snap ring on the rod end of the cylinder which I removed but still, nothing comes apart.

Pics are below. I believe it's a Tisco cylinder. I called them and they have no schematics available.

How can I get inside the cylinder?

I think the end of the cylinder where the rod comes out is threaded on. Can you tell if it is? Try a pipe wrench on it and see if you can remove it.

/ Hydraulic cylinder disassembly #3  
i'd be inclined to agree.. looks like that is a threaded in GN...

/ Hydraulic cylinder disassembly
I put a pipe wrench on the cap. It takes quite a bit of force to turn it. I've made 3-4 complete turns and it hasn't come out at all. Looks like it's just spinning there.

/ Hydraulic cylinder disassembly #5  
any locating pins or set screws around the circumference. might be a press in style.. I've seen fine thread.. but at 3-4 turns.. youd notice the gap opening..

/ Hydraulic cylinder disassembly #6  
There was a snap ring on the rod end of the cylinder which I removed but still, nothing comes apart.

If there was an internal snap ring, you prob have to use the rod/piston
assembly as a slide-hammer.