bad alternator?

/ bad alternator? #31  
just make up some jumper wires with proper terminals and plug them in singally not using the plug/harness. you can look at the harness at the vreg and the plug to figure out what goes where.

/ bad alternator?
The B terminal will go to battery positive but where do the N, E and F terminals go? the wiring diagram isn't that clear to what goes to Ground. at the moment the positive battery terminal is hooked up through the starter to the B terminal and then the N,E and F terminals all go to the regulator and then from there i assume they some how find their way back to the battery but i'm not sure. any help would be appreciated. i can post the wiring diagram if someone could help.

thanks.

/ bad alternator? #33  
not sure about the 'n' plug but the 'e' plug is the ground to regulator 'e' basically means earth ground external ground as well as others the 'f' is the field this is going to pass power from regulator to alternator and reverse again as soundguy stated just make jumper wires from one to the other and test this away also with volt meter with tractor running by touching the 'f' and 'e' should test unit as to full field and go into overcharge post back what happens

/ bad alternator? #34  
   / bad alternator? #36  
Not sure about yours but most alternator i've worked with have internal regulators so you'd be looking at rebuild/replace.

I was recently surprised to learn that (EDIT: some? not all? not sure) motorcycles have a separate stator and rectifier/regulator, instead of an all-in-one alternator. I had only encountered alternators before.

Last edited:
   / bad alternator?
Lessoned learned... when trying to diagnose charging system issues make sure your key is in the on position. our tractor will run untill the engin is choked out no matter if the ignition switch is on or off. we got in the habbit of turning the key off and even taking it out of the ignition to make sure the battry didn't get left on to save the battry. low and behold this does not allow the regulator or the alternator to supply charge to the battery so you are always running off battery power and very hard to diagnose charging issues. we did however discover that the regulator was bad. the alternator is good and everything was working fine while in the shop.

new issue. the battery indicator light glows at 1500RPMs or bellow but not when the RPMs are above 1500...what might be causing this? is the new regulator not working propperly? did the alternator have something go wrong with it while testing all the other issues?

thanks for everyones help.

/ bad alternator? #38  
check charge voltage above and below 1500 rpm.

yer oil lamp won't work when the key is off either so iw ould not reccomend doing that!

/ bad alternator?
the voltage from 1000rpms to 2200 rpms is 14.45 to 14.51volts. but the indicator light will flash bright and slow at 1000rpms and rapid and less dim all the way up to 2200 rpms. the light is not on when the tractor is first on the light does not flash but while the tractor runs the light will be on for higher and higher rpms. but the voltage at the battery still reads 14.45 to 14.51 even after the tractor being on for an hour.

should the light worry us? the alternator is rebuilt, battery new, and the regulator is new.

/ bad alternator? #40  
if the voltage is correct.. you are fine.

the light flashing must be a cluster issue.. perhaps a chaffed wire or blocking diode failing.. maybee even a power issue with t he cluster.. / key switch possible too.