1845C Slow Turn-over

/ 1845C Slow Turn-over #1  

SingleJack

Tractor
Case 1845C
I've had an 1845C nearly 10 years without incident. Recently, it turns over but not fast enough to start. It can be pried over by hand with seat out. Replaced battery, cleaned all connections, cleaned starter solenoid contacts, cleaned starter commutator, brushes good, checked all control valves to be centered ... NO CHANGE. Voltage drop across starter is around 3 volts. Starter draws enough current, that is, cables get warm.

Thanks for any advice, Jack

/ 1845C Slow Turn-over #2  
With a voltage drop that large, it has to be either a bad connection at the other end from the battery connections (assuming that you got them good and clean) or a cable that is damaged inside of the insulation. I would double check all connections of the primary battery circuit, which are the battery terminals, the connection to the solenoid (if there is one external to the starter), and the starter. Less likely is the solenoid itself, but that is possibly the issue.

Good luck!

/ 1845C Slow Turn-over
With a voltage drop that large, it has to be either a bad connection at the other end from the battery connections (assuming that you got them good and clean) or a cable that is damaged inside of the insulation. I would double check all connections of the primary battery circuit, which are the battery terminals, the connection to the solenoid (if there is one external to the starter), and the starter. Less likely is the solenoid itself, but that is possibly the issue.

Good luck!

That's the voltage drop caused by the starter while starting. Actually, I would have expected a larger drop while starting. I don't get any drops across any connections or wires while starting. It's acting like a hydraulic lock-up but I can't seem to find it. But, it also could be a coil in the starter has given up (short or open). I don't want to buy a new starter if I don't need to ... they're apparently made of gold. Next, I'm gonna try disconnecting the links to make sure the spools are centered. I've read hydraulic load during starting is a common problem with this model.

It's frustrating ... :mad:

Thanks for the reply, though!!:)

Last edited:
   / 1845C Slow Turn-over #4  
I share your pain with the price of starters. Presently on E-Bay there are 2. Both have "buy it now" prices of $170. and $153.00 with the 170 having free shipping. Although I wouldn't call those prices inexpensive. That seems about half what I priced one at Case.

/ 1845C Slow Turn-over
UPDATE:

New starter + disconnected all wires to starter + jumper cables from known good battery directly to starter + jumped positive directly to solenoid = SAME SLOW TURN-OVER. :mad:

So, with no system electrics involved, there has to be some excess load on the engine, right? :confused:

Next will be to progressively eliminate any possible hydraulic load ... as time permits ... stay tuned ... :mur:

Time to do something else for a while ... :drink:

/ 1845C Slow Turn-over #6  
I think your hydro pump is "engaged " for lack of a better term. Like you said, try centering your spools on the drive as well as the lift. I think that machine has two pumps, one for the drive, under the seat and another on the rear for bucket and lift. I have sold mine, but they are good machines.

/ 1845C Slow Turn-over #7  
UPDATE:

New starter + disconnected all wires to starter + jumper cables from known good battery directly to starter + jumped positive directly to solenoid = SAME SLOW TURN-OVER. :mad:

Don't be fooled by the new starter being slow if your only source of power to it is a set of jumper cables.
I've seen very few sets of jumper cables that were stout enough to provide enough juice to a starter to make it work properly on their own.

Jumper cables are meant to assist the battery not replace it.

Mark

/ 1845C Slow Turn-over
Re: 1845C Slow Turn-over - FINALLY GOT IT!!!

Don't be fooled by the new starter being slow if your only source of power to it is a set of jumper cables.
I've seen very few sets of jumper cables that were stout enough to provide enough juice to a starter to make it work properly on their own.

Jumper cables are meant to assist the battery not replace it.

Mark

Finally got some more time and patience to work on it and it's now running fine.

Well Mark, you are certainly right ... partly. A single set of jumpers are NOT adequate. I tried three sets in parallel with the old and new batteries and the charger on boost - still slow turn over.

I disconnected all hydraulic loads -- no help.

So, I decided to 'bite-the-bullet' and swap out the old battery with the new and hook everything back with the new starter. Now, the machine is inside a 20' sea-box. There's no room to jack-up the bucket to get the cylinder out of the way. There's very little room to work. I had to take the muffler off and a few other bits to make just barely enough wiggle room to exchange the batteries. But, after a couple-a-three hours squeezing, swearing and lifting -- started instantly.

Final diagnosis: The old starter had a short in it - drew too much current (on the bench) and too had little power (installed). AND, the old battery also had a shorted cell(s). It was drawing down the new battery so it couldn't supply the new starter with enough power. If I had more room to work I would have swapped out the battery first off. But, I'd still would have had the marginal starter. All's well that ends well!

Anyway, that's my story ... and, I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for the help, Jack

Last edited: