John Deere 2305 Starting and then Stopping Issues

/ John Deere 2305 Starting and then Stopping Issues #1  

husting

Tractor
John Deere 2305
My JD 2305 has starting issue that is a bit different. When starting, the engine cranks over and starts but then dies out within a few seconds. This has been happening on and off for a couple years. Now I just can't get it started. I used a volt checker and I get 12.8 volts on the battery so it seems to be working, but I haven't replaced it.

What could be causing it to cut out?

Patrick

/ John Deere 2305 Starting and then Stopping Issues #2  
Does it still crank? If so, try jumping the battery. Your current battery may be drawing down.
If it starts, and continues running...probably time for a new battery.
If it starts but doesn't continue to run, I'd look at the fuel filter as a potential cause.

/ John Deere 2305 Starting and then Stopping Issues
It does start, revs for about 1 second and then never catches and dies out. The fuel filter is clean, well, looks good to me anyway. :)

Any other ideas? I've seen other post the same issue, but never see a response on what the issue was to fix it.

Guess I will have to call service.

Patrick

Does it still crank? If so, try jumping the battery. Your current battery may be drawing down.
If it starts, and continues running...probably time for a new battery.
If it starts but doesn't continue to run, I'd look at the fuel filter as a potential cause.

/ John Deere 2305 Starting and then Stopping Issues #4  
It does start, revs for about 1 second and then never catches and dies out. The fuel filter is clean, well, looks good to me anyway. :)

Any other ideas? I've seen other post the same issue, but never see a response on what the issue was to fix it.

Guess I will have to call service.

Patrick

Do your headlights work, by chance?

Since I don't own a 2305, you'll have to check your manual...especially for any fuses or relays that protect fuel delivery circuits. Your manual should have a trouble shooting section, so I suggest you start there.
Safety switches should prevent cranking, so It's probably not a safety switch
Yep, you may have to contact the dealer...

/ John Deere 2305 Starting and then Stopping Issues
Yes, headlights on.

I'm digging out the manual now and going to go try and figure it out. :eek:) Thanks for the advice.

Patrick

Do your headlights work, by chance?

Since I don't own a 2305, you'll have to check your manual...especially for any fuses or relays that protect fuel delivery circuits. Your manual should have a trouble shooting section, so I suggest you start there.
Safety switches should prevent cranking, so It's probably not a safety switch
Yep, you may have to contact the dealer...

/ John Deere 2305 Starting and then Stopping Issues #6  
Could be a problem with the fuel shutoff solenoid. I believe there is a separate circut to energize it for starting and running.

/ John Deere 2305 Starting and then Stopping Issues #7  
Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• Pg145.JPG
    Pg145.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 3,899
   / John Deere 2305 Starting and then Stopping Issues #8  
Have you checked your fuel lines for obstruction? Here in N. Florida algae grows in the fuel and will restrict the flow. I've worked on tractors with the symptoms you describe and have found that to be the case.

/ John Deere 2305 Starting and then Stopping Issues #9  
I have the same issue. I had a mobile mechanic come out and he diagnosed it to be a bad fuel shut off solinoid. So I ordered one and it does the same thing. When it is removed from the engine, it runs like new. Something is setting off that solinoid right after it starts. If I hold the ignition switch key to start, it will run for a second or two longer. I believe my problem is the key switch. I hope this might help you.
Bob