Electrical Gremlin

/ Electrical Gremlin #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
My tractor ran fine this morning. I used the FEL as a platform to stand on while I put up the last of the plywood on the outside of my workshop build. Then I shut it down to eat breakfast. When I went back out to use it for moving rocks, the started wouldn't engage. Also, when I turn the key to an off position, I hear a buzzing noise for a few seconds. I found the buzzing piece, and it is a relay marked DENSO 061700-0860. I don't know if that's what is causing the no start condition or not. I'm still in the middle of troubleshooting, but any guidance or advice would be welcome.

I checked all the obvious stuff like seat switch, PTO safety, etc. I think I moved every lever on that little beast a dozen times in different combinations just to make sure I'm not missing something. It acts like it's some kind of relay. I just get nothing when I try to start it. No click. No nothing.

The tractor is a Massey Ferguson MF1215.

Wish me luck. I hate chasing crazy little gremlins in the electrical system.

/ Electrical Gremlin #2  
sounds like the starter relay or fuel shut off relay.

/ Electrical Gremlin #3  
Try measuring battery voltage while cranking. It could be the voltage is dropping when the starter is engaged and then the relay drops out. Then the voltage recovers and the really pulls back in. This repeats. It could be a bad connection or the battery. If battery voltage drops below 10 volts the battery is probably the problem.

/ Electrical Gremlin
BobRip said:
Try measuring battery voltage while cranking. It could be the voltage is dropping when the starter is engaged and then the relay drops out. Then the voltage recovers and the really pulls back in. This repeats. It could be a bad connection or the battery. If battery voltage drops below 10 volts the battery is probably the problem.

I already considered that and replaced the battery in the midst of troubleshooting. I guess it could still be the a bad ground our something like that.

/ Electrical Gremlin
I haven't gotten out to tinker any further with this tractor, but I've been thinking about it a lot.

What are the chances that the buzzing relay is caused by something else? I.e. is it likely that some other problem or bad part is causing the relay to buzz after the key is turned off? I found a place where I can order the relay, but it's $70 + S&H. I don't want to throw that money at the problem unless there's a good chance that the relay is bad.

/ Electrical Gremlin
So, ordering the part to see if that's the problem is not an option. I placed an order today and just got an e-mail that the part is 4 weeks out. I canceled, and I'll do some more detailed diagnostics to see for sure what the problem is. Then if I have to replace that part, I'll wait the 4 weeks.

/ Electrical Gremlin
So I mustered up all the humility I could and called in a favor from a friend who works as a mechanic at the CAT dealership. We found the problem.

Drum roll please...

It was a corroded connector. Silly little plastic connector. It took about a half hour of tinkering to find it. We wire brushed the spade terminals and sprayed some electrical cleaner down in there. Now the tractor is all put back together and works as good as new.

/ Electrical Gremlin #8  
I hate that mustering up humility part. Glad you found a simple, cheap (in money) solution. Connectors are definitely the weak link in wiring.
Jim