Jump starting

/ Jump starting #1  

raykos

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2305
Hi all,

I was doing some FEL work with my JD2305, when I felt the need for a cold liquid refreshment. After cooling down, came back, turned the key and...click. OK, just like a car, probably dirty terminals. So, I cleaned the terminals, checked the battery's water levels, and tried again. This time I get a buzzing sound. OK, battery is probably run down and doesn't have enough power to energize some relay, or pre-heat the glo plugs. So, I hook up the battery charger, and oh-oh, it says the battery is fully charged! Well, this charger has a 50 Amp starting option and I figured I'd try that. When I turned the key, still had the buzzing sound, but louder. Alright, maybe the 50 Amp starting option still isn't enough, so I'll try jumping it with my truck. Same thing, loud buzzing sound. How about connecting the negative jumper lead directly to the frame, in case there was a cable/connection problem. Nope, same thing.

At that point called the dealer. He recommended doing everything I just did, which I told him. He said he could pick it up. So, now it's the week end and my tractor sits in the shop, waiting for Mon.

And now my 20/20 Hindsight kicks in. Probably should have made this post first, right? And, probaly should have pulled the battery, and taken it to an auto parts store to have it checked, right? Also,(the reason for this post), could I have taken the postive cable off the tractor battery and connected the positive jumper cable directly to it, the negative jumper cable to the tractor frame,(eliminating the tractor battery), and tried starting that way?

/ Jump starting #2  
I would check all connections on the battery cables. There is the frame connection on the negative cable, and positive probably goes to a starter relay. It is possible that it is the battery, but jumping it from your truck should have taken care of that, at least it should have tried to turn it over slowly.

If nothing turns up there, I would get the battery checked also.

Good luck!

/ Jump starting #3  
Wouldn't be a starter relay would it, does it have one?

/ Jump starting #4  
While you could have removed the positive battery cable to remove a shorted battery from the circuit, it is generally easier/safer to remove the ground cable from the battery. Then you still have the positive cable securely anchored where it won't short out while you hook the booster cable to it (or to the starter solenoid). With no cable hooked to the ground post, the battery is out of the circuit.
When removing a good battery you should always disconnect the ground first. That way if your wrench shorts to ground it won't matter. Once the ground cable is off you don't have any voltage from the positive battery post either should you short it out.....

/ Jump starting #5  
We bought ours new in 2008 and put the third new battery on this spring; never had any luck jump starting ours either and don't really know why.

/ Jump starting #6  
I had something similar happen to my Kubota. Turned out to be the connection of the + side of the battery AT THE STARTER. My starter has the internal solenoid. The cable just needed to be cleaned up and retightened. It was drawing power but could not turn the engine over.

/ Jump starting
Hi All,

First off, thanks to everybody for taking the time to respond, do appreciate it. Second, to all "newbies" out there, when in the "heat of battle", take a few moments to draw back, post your problem here, BE PATIENT, and somebody usually will respond with a good suggestion!

It was a shorted cell in the battery, and if I would have followed my own advice, I would have saved myself $240!!!

"pat32rf"'s suggestion of disconnecting the negative lead, thus eliminating the battery, would have probably allowed my truck to jump start the
tractor & proved it was a bad tractor battery. Seventy yr.s old and at times,(like now), I'm still mad at myself for impatient mistakes!!!!

Again, Thanks,
Ray

/ Jump starting #8  
:drink:
Hi All,

First off, thanks to everybody for taking the time to respond, do appreciate it. Second, to all "newbies" out there, when in the "heat of battle", take a few moments to draw back, post your problem here, BE PATIENT, and somebody usually will respond with a good suggestion!

It was a shorted cell in the battery, and if I would have followed my own advice, I would have saved myself $240!!!

"pat32rf"'s suggestion of disconnecting the negative lead, thus eliminating the battery, would have probably allowed my truck to jump start the
tractor & proved it was a bad tractor battery. Seventy yr.s old and at times,(like now), I'm still mad at myself for impatient mistakes!!!!

Again, Thanks,
Ray
don't feel bad Ray i have lost alot of money making quick decisions as matter of fact all most ccost myself a extra $1000 bucks last week we decided it was time for us to get a heat pump we heat with wood and raise the windows in the summer well older we get the more important our sleep is so long story short company priced a 2 and one half ton heat pump 13 seer turn key job for $4900 the only reason i didn't do it was i just didn't think that the unit was big enough well i wass right now im getting a trane 3 and a half ton unit 15 seer turn key job for $5000 but i could have got the same unit the other comp offered from this comp for $3800.

/ Jump starting #9  
Look at it this way, it could have been a lot worse than $240. Plus now you know more than you did before and you created a thread for others to follow and learn. Good job! You don't learn much paying someone else to fix your equipment. Plus you can't brag about it to your friends.

/ Jump starting #10  
Im new to this so sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread. I have a 1972 massey ferguson 135. The battery is only a month old, i was bush hogging and the tractor stalled out, i put jumper cables on it and they turned red hot and started smoking. the battery charged gauge would go to -10 when i would turn the key but naturally i didnt leave the cables on because i was worried they were going to catch on fire. the battery that was in the tractor previously only lasted about a year and i had it tested before replacing it because it was not old, i was told battery was shorted out, does any of this make sense or anyone have any suggestions. I also appreciate the help I got from reading the tips on how to eliminate the battery from the system, im going to try to disconnect the negative tomorrow when I get home from work to see if that does anything.