Gear box grease?

/ Gear box grease? #1  

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
I thought I read something about replacing the 90w oil in a gearbox with a light weight grease. Has anyone tried it on their brush hog (or other attachment gearbox)?

/ Gear box grease? #2  
G'day for some gearboxes that are leaking a bit and are low use we will put in a tube of grease to mix in with the oil to slow the leak down, but we still check them every time we use them. I don't know why you would mix it in a good leak free unit though, I would not recommend draining the oil and replacing completely with grease as most g/boxes rely on some splash lube.

Jon

/ Gear box grease? #3  
Folks who go that route either use a home brew of NLGI #1 or #2 grease mixed with gear oil. Or use a NLGI #0 or #00 grease, which is most commonly called john deere corn head grease.

Personally I stick to 90 or 140 weight gear oil. If a leak bugs me I spend some time and a few bucks to fix it.

/ Gear box grease? #4  
I've never used it but I think you might be talking about 00 grease. It was on another tread and someone
mentioned its the same as used by snapper and other equipment. Here's a link:

ChevronTexaco Dura-Lith® NLGI 00 Grease EP

Can't get the link to work! This is the website though.

/ Gear box grease? #5  
People do this before sending them to the auction. Grease temporary fixes the leak,oil layes on top. Even if you check everything- looks good after a power wash. I try to buy from estate sales for reasons like this.

/ Gear box grease?
The gearbox is on a seeder so there's no downward facing shaft. Everything inside looks fine and it spins very smoothly but the oil had leaked out. I bought it cheap because it had been stored incorrectly and water rusted out part of the hopper so I'm guessing that's when the oil leaked out as well. I'll use it for occasionally spreading sand in the winter. I'm not a big fan of grease in cold temperatures. But I would rather not find out the hard way that the oil leaked out and destroyed the gearbox.

/ Gear box grease? #7  
The gearbox is on a seeder so there's no downward facing shaft. Everything inside looks fine and it spins very smoothly but the oil had leaked out. I bought it cheap because it had been stored incorrectly and water rusted out part of the hopper so I'm guessing that's when the oil leaked out as well. I'll use it for occasionally spreading sand in the winter. I'm not a big fan of grease in cold temperatures. But I would rather not find out the hard way that the oil leaked out and destroyed the gearbox.

just need new seals... you can most likely cross from the part # on the seal. if not get the shaft OD, ID of where the seal fits into, plus thickness of the seal (in thousands of an inch or mm if it is metric) and I can look up a new seal... I had to do this on my old shredder.

/ Gear box grease? #8  
put in a zerk and pump full of 0 or 00# ep grease. in that seldom used application you will be fine. i have a magrix cone spready i did the same. has a 'sealed' zinc/aluminum gear box housing that is oil charged before assembly, and befor eht gear box is held captive inside a metal cage that is part of the frame. was obviously made to be non serviceable and a throw away.. as the gearbox is warded by the metal frame, and has no provisions on the box to add oil. it was weeping from the shaft seal when i got it, so it had some lube in it.. so I carefully drileld and tapped for a grease zerk in a bottom corner of the box I could get to and then flushed the box out by pumping solvent in. that cleane dit good too.. then pumped full of light 0 or 00 grease.. probbaly 0 at the time is what i had. I give it a shot or 2 every summer now... no issues in years.

/ Gear box grease?
I found an on line parts price list. Each shaft is about $20 so I think I'll just replace them and the seals and it'll be like new. I had thought about putting speedi sleeves on the shafts but for an extra few bucks I might as well replace them.

/ Gear box grease? #10  
Isnot there another way through which we can do it.