Flat tires first day out?

/ Flat tires first day out? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi Guys
I’ve got two questions for you . I have a BX22 that I brought home last week. Used it with a bush hog to mow about an acre of field. Most of it tall grass with a couple of small bushes. (about 1 1/2" base to them) I got two flats on the first day out. My first question is should I expect this to happen regularly. Second, if so how do I prevent this in the future? I know I could fill them with foam, and I would do this right away but I have turf tires and will be using the tractor mostly for mowing. I don’t want to do anything to the tires that would compromise the finish cut on a manicured lawn. Thanks for you help.

/ Flat tires first day out?
heavy duty tire sealant is very good for tread area punctures. Check it out at Gemplers.com. You can also get the slime stuff at TSC, but it is not as good as the heavy duty stuff.

/ Flat tires first day out? #3  
I had the same problem a week into ownership with the turfs clearing out some woods. The front tires were full of sticker bush thorns. I read some posts here about slime, got it, put it in and haven't had a problem since. I put one bottle (8 ounce?) in per tire.

Gregg

/ Flat tires first day out? #4  
rtc
Look and see how many plies the tire is probably 4 ply. Get tubes for the tires if you do not already have them,and then add the "Slime". I have had good luck with the "Slime", I have it in everything. I used to get flats running through the Osage Orange trees while mowing. These have some nice size thorns on them.
Solo

/ Flat tires first day out? #5  
Because of this, I filled mine with Arnco's Softfill. It's a jel-like compound that completely fills the tire, but it doesn't harden like foam does. In fact, unless you knew better, you wouldn't know it wasn't air in it, as the tire still bounces like air and everything. It does add weight, about 40# I think, but sure not enough to cause problems mowing. I'm very happy with mine....

/ Flat tires first day out? #6  
When I purchased my tractor I had the dealer add tire sealent to all four tires, cost was $160 for 5 gallons. I've had my new tractor for two weeks now and have not had a single flat. And that's with Bush Hogging some of the nastiest thorn trees out there - Texas Huisache. I've come back in with 2" thorns, catus, and other unknows that I've had to pull off the tires with gloves on to protect my hands. But no flats. May have been the best $160 I ever spent.

/ Flat tires first day out? #7  
First thing is to look at the punctures. if they are big then I do not think slime or anything else will help. running over a 1-1/2" brush stump at about 2 to 3 inches long would not be to nice on the tires. and also watch the side walls as they will punture easier also. may want to get a set of industial tires with a higher ply rating and swap them when playing in the brush. another set of tires and wheels will run you around $300.

/ Flat tires first day out?
Thanks a lot guys /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I just went to get them fixed at my local garage. There were about 6 small punctures in the front tire. I need to work with it tomorrow so I’m taking the quick fix for now. Buying tubes and installing them with Slime. I found the culprit. It was a brier bush! I pulled out a 1 1/4" thorn. I couldn’t believe that a thorn would puncture a tractor tire, but when I felt it was a strong as a nail. Well now I know!

/ Flat tires first day out? #9  
I have had better luck without tubes and just the slime. Just my experience.

/ Flat tires first day out? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have had better luck without tubes and just the slime )</font>

I just put <font color="green"> Slime</font> into a garden tractor tire and I THINK the directions said it wasn't for use in tubes. I'll try to check the bottle later on.....
Mark