Resister located on fuse box

/ Resister located on fuse box #1  

ming

Tractor
John Deere 4700
My JD 4700 starter solinoid will not engage (starter checked funtions properly) . Checked neutral switch, switch on seat, brake switch, ignition swith, all funtion properly. Cleaned electrical connections in fuse box, turn key to start relay in fuse box clicks nothing else. Would a malfunctioning resistor box in electrical box cause no power to engage the starter

/ Resister located on fuse box #2  
Welcome to TBN!!
I don't have a 4700 but..... if it truly is a "resistor box" as you say, and the resistor(s) were open or shorted such that it is far less than it's normal value, then yes it would likely prevent *something* from working correctly. You would need a schematic of the electrical system to tell you what/how it's wired. It may be in the starter circuit, or it may be used in some other part of the electrical circuit. Do you have the schematic for it in the manual?? It not, maybe another 4700 user can look at theirs and see how it is used? I know Roy has a 4700 now.... maybe he can help?

/ Resister located on fuse box
Thanks for the info what I thought was a resistor ended up being a diode. Purchased it and tractor still won't crank over. Inaddition to what I had already done I replaced the both battery cables same problem. I know it's electrical but as you said without a schematic I am lost.

how do i contact Roy

/ Resister located on fuse box #5  
You didn't say if you checked the solenoid itself, or whether power is getting to it normally.

/ Resister located on fuse box #6  
Starter wouldnt work on my Yanmar once and I removed it because I thought it was burned up. I decided to check it by putting jumper cables on it and it spun good. I reinstalled it and it worked as designed. Must have been a bad ground on the starter or something. I did also at about the same time decide to check the battery post for clean and they were a bit dirty so cleaned them and while reinstalling the cables one end just pulled out of the crimped connection so I repaired that also. It worked good from then on so I wont ever know for sure if it was the battery cable or the ground on the starter, but suspect it was just the bad crimp on the cable. By looking at it you couldnt tell it was loose but just tugging around on it trying to get the little bit short cable in position found the fault.
Moral of the story is check your cable connections good to make sure the crimps are good, battery post are clean and connections are tight, solenoid is good before looking at deeper wiring problems. It could also be you ignition switch. Jumper the post on the solenoid and if it engages, check your switch.

Have preformed all your suggestion problem still percests. I am going to back track starter wires thru the wiring harness today (7/5/12). Will let you know if problem is located or throw in the towel and take it to the dealer.
mingo

Starter was taken and cleaned works as it should. Traced the solenoid wire to a relay in the fuse box which directs wires to the ignition switch. Checked switch with volt/ohmn meter it appears to function properly. since power to the relay from the swith does not power the starter I am thinking the wire must have developed a short. What do you think?
mingo