Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Default Re: FORD 1300 BLOWING OIL OUT THE OVERFLOW TUBE

Quote Originally Posted by TraderMark View Post
    A faulty injector will not cause excessive blowby. A faulty injector can wash down the cylinder walls damaging the rings and thus causing excessive blowby but replacing a faulty injector will not help excessive blowby.
    Key word here is "excessive" If he is getting an injector wash, it could be just enough to take away some of the oil film necessary to maintain sealing. Of course too much of this can damage piston wall. Don't know where in the process this exists but if it is early or not as bad as it could be, he might get lucky by changing out the injector. Might be worth a shot at least even if its a slim one and he'd have to change it anyway if indeed this all started with a leaky injector.
    Last edited by arrow; 07-07-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Tractor
    Ford 1300

Will it do anymore damage if I continue to use it until I can check and repair? It runs great and uses very little oil. If it wasn't for the smoke and oil or whatever it is coming from the overflow you wouldn't know there was a problem. If it's ok I will let you know what the compression test reveals.

You have been a big help and thank you so much.

Robby

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by RECHEEK View Post
    Will it do anymore damage if I continue to use it until I can check and repair? It runs great and uses very little oil. If it wasn't for the smoke and oil or whatever it is coming from the overflow you wouldn't know there was a problem. If it's ok I will let you know what the compression test reveals.

You have been a big help and thank you so much.

Robby
    It most certainly can if the condition is at its earliest stages. A minor problem if its not too late already can turn into a complete or partial engine overhaul. The least you can do is change out the injectors. If it goes away, you're golden. If not, you have some decisions to make. If ether was ever used to start this engine somewhere in its history, damage could have been caused by that as well.
    There is the possibility that this engine was put together a little loosely. Perhaps a ring didn't seat as it should or tolerances are a bit sloppy. Then it would be doing this from the beginning. You may get another 700 hrs just like it is. I'd still change out the injectors anyway.
    Last edited by arrow; 07-07-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Homemade

Piston rings can get stuck in their grooves and result in burning oil or blowby. If the tractor sat for a long time without being run it's quite possible that's what happened, especially if it had dirty oil in it. I've had it happen to a couple of engines. You could try one of the chemical products designed to loosen stuck rings. If that doesn't work you have to take it apart to loosen them up.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    UTB 445 DT; Wheelhorses C121, C101, A8

If the engine sounds good, starts easily & uses no oil there can't be much wrong with it!
    At 700 hours it's very unlikely to be bore wear, so cheer up. 7000 hours & it would be worth stripping & overhauling but at this stage no way.
    This is another vote for ring gumming, as suggested by Bigdeano.
    How hard do you use the tractor? I bet it never gets any real hard work, like say pulling a plough or a subsoiler in heavy ground or hard mowing in thick rushes etc. Light work can cause bores to glaze & rings to stick in their grooves. First thing I'd do is give it a couple of hours really hard work running at max power or at the revs required for max PTO speed if mowing something thick. Then see if it still smokes. Meanwhile Google ring-gumming & see the remedies. Some diesels if run on vegetable oil (I run my Mercedes engine on neat veg) can suffer ring gumming & many people inject steam into the inlet whilst the engine is revving hard & report good results with this. Do a bit of research & see what's needed.
    In your situation, I definitely wouldn't start pulling cylinder heads & the like unless there was a LOT of blow by (& significant oil loss) & other methods above had failed.
    John L in wet West Wales

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12