Need help on my Ford 641 tractor

/ Need help on my Ford 641 tractor #1  

MillWeld

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 641
I converted my Ford 641, gas, 134 cu in) to 12 VDC about a year ago and that was the best thing I have ever done to it. I did not change the solenoid switch or the starter - they are still 6 VDC - because most on line instructions indicated that was OK. It starts in anout 0.25 seconds so I figured those units will be overpowered for such a short time that it won't matter. OK - a few days ago I was mowing, shut the tractor down to replace the clothes line, tried to restart and it was like someone had removed the battery - no sound at all. Tested the batt. It was OK. Tried my truck battery anyway (just in case) . No sound either. I replaced the solenoid w/ another 6 VDC unit (used) and got a very slow crank but not enough to start it. I hot wired the starter motor and got the same very slow crank but no start. The starter turned so slow it was worse than I experienced with it when I had a 6 VDC battery. I have a 12 VDC solenoid on order but haven't received it yet. Doubt that will help since hot wiring didn't work. Is my starter bad? Ideas?

Bob

/ Need help on my Ford 641 tractor
Solved the problem this AM. I replaced the solenoid w/ a 12 DVC and it started. ?????
Bob