ford 1310 no power

/ ford 1310 no power #21  
Thank u for the replies, I do have the ford shop manual that covers several models including mine, and it does not say anything about governor adjustment on my model, This is were I am at, I think who ever put this motor in bent the linkage to the injection pump, and over stretched the spring, I do believe I have the linkage bent back to how it should be, and I have replaced the spring twice, I think the spring that is in there now may be sllightly to long, I did go get 3 new springs at the local hardware store and plan on taking the timing cover off again and trying a slightly shorter spring with the same tension strength. and if that fails I did find a parts supplier online that has the linkage in question and the governor spring. I have gotten it a lot better, at first it only idled then linkage bent a lil and a new spring it would rev up but would bogg down as soon as a load was applied and then i bent the linkage again and installed another spring and now it only goes to 1500rpm but has more power than I thought possible. So I am getting close,
thank everyone again for the replies and I plan to either take it appart today or friday, I will defintly post my progress
ps I was able to diag and fix my 3 point hydraulics because of this web site and someone elses thread.

Have you checked the throttle cable itself? Once again, not familiar with this model, but if the governor is working well - taking a load, etc, it could be some sort of adjustment in the cable/linkage to move the max rpm higher. Just a thought.

/ ford 1310 no power #22  
I used to have it's little brother, a 1220. Two things come to mind. When checking the injectors, did you let it squirt fuel out of each line? May only be feeding 2 cylinders.....the pumps on those had some what of a high pressure bypass; they didn't use barrel locating pins which may allow the barrel to turn if the delivery valve holder is loosened. This throws off the equal delivery calibration and can cause all kinds of issues. A good pump shop wouldn't charge a whole bunch to test it for you.

Mike Koons(?) at Messick's has been a huge help a couple times by faxing diagrams and making sure I've gotten the right stuff. Maybe a call to them and get the linkage pic and right spring would help? (yea, I realize you're on west coast and we are east, but it can't hurt to call)
Messicks Locations, Phone Numbers and Directions

/ ford 1310 no power #23  
Woooops.... My bad.
For some reason I read your model number as 1300 instead of 1310.
There's a WORLD of difference between those two engines.
And there's not much adjustment to governor linkage on the 1310.
But there is a paragraph that says you need to line the groove in the governor arm shaft with the slot in the control lever.

/ ford 1310 no power
I am sure the external throttle linkage is going to full throttle, I read that same paragraph about the groove lining up. and mine is.
I will call around and see how much it cost to test the injectors, because I was told white smoke upon start up is a sign of clogged injector and the manual says to have them cleaned and adjusted every 600 hours and mine has 739 on the tractor and only like 12 on the motor

/ ford 1310 no power #25  
A bit of white smoke on startup- especially cold- is normal, this is unburnt diesel fuel from when you spin the motor over. I would say your injectors are fine and the problem is the governor.

/ ford 1310 no power
thank you that is the second time I have heard about the white smoke at start up is normal, I agree itis the governor and I will take it appart again tomorrow maybe.

/ ford 1310 no power
My friend has a volvo dump truck that bellows white smoke for close 5 minutes on start up, is that an injector issue, or what

/ ford 1310 no power #28  
Check the tank valve/strainer for a blockage that is restricting the fuel flow to the filter and the pump.

/ ford 1310 no power
I took the governor appart and replaced the spring with a shorter one it goes to 1800rpm, well I went to mow a field and the temp dumbie lite came on, after letting it sit 10 mins I drove the tractor home and on the way the piece on the top left hand side of the axle that connects the left front tire to the drag link off the steering box and the tie rod end from the right tire snapped off, I can't find the part in question anyone know of a good parts place and or junk yard in ca

/ ford 1310 no power #30  
Good morning countrylife. Just stumbled onto your thread today. I have an old 1210 that is kinda like an old family pet that I can't seem to part with. I guess mine is about the same vintage as yours. It wasn't too many years ago I replaced the same steering part on mine. Mine didn't snap off - the threads on the one end of the rod and the fitting on the end got messed up. I was able to get a new rod and ends from a Ford tractor dealership in Lancaster PA. That dealership was recently taken over by Messick. They might be able to assist.