No steering/no 3pt lift

/ No steering/no 3pt lift #1  

broncobilly69

Tractor
IH 424
My 66 IH 424 with power steering has no steering (steering wheel just spins round and round w/o moving tires) and not lift on the 3 pt. For the 3 pt not lifting manual says possibilities are faulty relief valve, regulator piston stuck open, or speed control piston stuck open.
The steering has been making a little noise lately, I let the fluid level get low to the point that the power steering stopped working when on side hills :ashamed:
and has been had episodes of sticking lately. The manual doesn't say anything about both being out at the same time. The manual mentions the relief valve for a few steering problems, but not for "will not steer manually" Can anybody help me narrow this down. It's currently sitting in a wooded area of my property and getting back to the shop doesn't seem likely so I'll be wrenching in the woods.

/ No steering/no 3pt lift #2  
My 66 IH 424 with power steering has no steering (steering wheel just spins round and round w/o moving tires) and not lift on the 3 pt. For the 3 pt not lifting manual says possibilities are faulty relief valve, regulator piston stuck open, or speed control piston stuck open.
The steering has been making a little noise lately, I let the fluid level get low to the point that the power steering stopped working when on side hills :ashamed:
and has been had episodes of sticking lately. The manual doesn't say anything about both being out at the same time. The manual mentions the relief valve for a few steering problems, but not for "will not steer manually" Can anybody help me narrow this down. It's currently sitting in a wooded area of my property and getting back to the shop doesn't seem likely so I'll be wrenching in the woods.
Sounds like the pump was starved for fluid and is most likely ruined. But I have an idea you already knew that.

/ No steering/no 3pt lift
wasn't sure, but had a hunch. It stopped working suddenly. Can those be rebuilt or am I buying a new one?

Last edited:
   / No steering/no 3pt lift #4  
the relief valve goes out sometimes .i would hate for you to replace the pump and then have to replace the relief valve too.the relief valve is cheaper.generally a pump gets weaker over time a relief sticks or goes out at once.

/ No steering/no 3pt lift #5  
the relief valve goes out sometimes .i would hate for you to replace the pump and then have to replace the relief valve too.the relief valve is cheaper.generally a pump gets weaker over time a relief sticks or goes out at once.

While this could be true, keep in mind that it was basically run out of oil........more than once.

any way to test the pump? all the tests I see in the manual seem to be for weak lift or weak power assist on the steering. I wasn't sure if hooking a gauge up to the pressure line on the pump would be advisable because there would be no where for the fluid to go after the gauge and I would be before the relief valve.
Would the steering wheel spin freely if the pump was out or would it be really difficult to turn like when the engine is not running?
I really appreciate the info. Still can't believe I was dumb enough to let the fluid get that low. :mur:

Looks like I'm a total idiot and mistook the hydraulic reservoir's drain plug for a fill level plug :mur:. After adding some fluid and working the steering and 3 pt lift a bit, I am back in business, I hope my dumb arse didn't do too much damage to the pump. I'm sure it wasn't good for it :ashamed:

Last edited: