TO-20 rejoining problem

/ TO-20 rejoining problem #1  

rip5896

Tractor
1948 Massey Furgeson TO-20
I have a '48 Massey Ferguson TO-20. I split it to change the seal. I've made four attempts to join it together again but can't get it closer than 1/4" to 1". Any ideas what my problem is? I'm sure the spindle has made it in as I have gotten that close. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

/ TO-20 rejoining problem #2  
Would this be splitting it to replace the engine rear main seal..?? If so, did you get the clutch plate aligned..?? If so, sounds like your right there, all but going through the clutch disc, but just won't drop in the splines.

You can engage the PTO, and take either a 15" crescent/spanner wrench, or 1-1/4" open end wrench, and turn the PTO shaft to turn the transmission input shaft, to line up the splines. You can feel the spline alignment, through the wrench.

If you are that close, your bolts shoud be long enough to keep everything in line, so as to do some slight shaking, and pushing forward on both rear wheels.

Make sure you have an even gap at top and bottom of block and bell housing.

/ TO-20 rejoining problem
Thank you for the info. I think the splines are aligned and the shaft is inserted because the two tractor halves were within 1/2" of touching. The alignment is good and plumb. I'll try turning it via the PTO just incase.

I'm not sure about the clutch plate being aligned. I figured since the bolt holes are aligned and the shaft is probably inserted, the clutch plate should be aligned.

I put a lot of force on the two halves, even used two ratchet come alongs to the point metal was groaning.

I guess it's off for a sixth attempt.

/ TO-20 rejoining problem #4  
forcing an input shaft into a non aligned clutch is a SURE way to learn how to repalce a clutch and resplit!

if you didn't use an align tool.. or the input shaft when you changed the input shaft seal ( 3$ seal you sold ALWAYS repalce if the tractor is split ).. then th pto trick is the ticket... trans out of gear.. but pto engaged..

any clutch work done.. or flywheel. it.. new TOB or pilot?

thanks. I'll let you know how it goes. Nothing else is being replaced, I have a serious time issue. This fall I'll either do it again properly or I'll sell it and buy better (9N?), this massey was not taken care of, I got it for under $1K.

/ TO-20 rejoining problem #6  
a 9n would be a lateral move.

get a ford 660 or 860 and get a 1.5x or 2x upgrade!

/ TO-20 rejoining problem #7  
If you are that close, you may try releasing the clutch disc, via the clutch pedal. It may let it align itself, and let it in the pilot bearing/bushing.

I as also taught many moons ago to put just a dab of good bearing grease in the dimple of the input shaft. Just a smidge... Old school stuff... Something for next time... Take it for what it's worth.

/ TO-20 rejoining problem #8  
didn't have lutch out didya? have a long and short side? swap it?

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

/ TO-20 rejoining problem #10  
I'm thinking those little Continentals had a full circular rear seal. So in order to change, you have to drop the pressure plate, clutch & flywheel. Thought about the flat side of the disc too...