j.i. case 1949 SC

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #161  
a head gasket is an EZ job...

are you really sure you want to own an antique tractor?

they Do usually require a wrench waved over them when you buy them, and periodically while you own them.

you don't sound particularly interested in the task of doing a li bit of wrench waving.. or seems so anyway... ?? just sayin.... small job pops up and sounds of defeat ring out.

wait till you go crank one one day and a new window appears in the block.. or you get a clink-clink-clink-clink-chug-chug-chug-chug sound and find yourself tearing downt he top end to replace half the valve train... or while driving steering wheel and a foot of shaft comes off in your hand.. or front wheels splay out.. or front of engine pours oil out like a bucket.. or to shaft and most of the bearing carrier fly out the back one day.. :)

all things ya got to look forward too!

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #162  
Soundguy said:
a head gasket is an EZ job...

But the clutch. Not so much.

Part of the fun of owning a Antique tractor is working on them. If you want a almost perfect no maintenece tractor buy a new one not one some 60 odd years old.

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #163  
But the clutch. Not so much.

Part of the fun of owning a Antique tractor is working on them. If you want a almost perfect no maintenece tractor buy a new one not one some 60 odd years old.

He was planning the clutch anyway.. and then sounded defeated when the idea of a 20$ head gasket came up... hg should infulence the clutch job in any way....

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #164  
He was planning the clutch anyway.. and then sounded defeated when the idea of a 20$ head gasket came up... hg should infulence the clutch job in any way....

You are right. Head gasket involves about 20 bolts removed and you have the head off. Scrape the old one off and stick the new one on. Torque bolts to the correct specs and you are golden. Why not fix the clutch while you have the head off. He is also working on the Ford too.

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #165  
exactly!

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
may be just a gasket but could be a cracked head i dont mind working on them but parts are exspesive and i should of looked it up before i bought the **** thing my falt parts for my ford are half as exspensive as for my case and not to mention much easier to buy i can go the store in town get parts for my ford not defeated just my plain stupidty for buying a odd ball tractor with parts not readily avaible so im sellin it backin out hopefully somone will trade me for another 8n or give me cash

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #167  
may be just a gasket but could be a cracked head i dont mind working on them but parts are exspesive and i should of looked it up before i bought the **** thing my falt parts for my ford are half as exspensive as for my case and not to mention much easier to buy i can go the store in town get parts for my ford not defeated just my plain stupidty for buying a odd ball tractor with parts not readily avaible so im sellin it backin out hopefully somone will trade me for another 8n or give me cash

I guess it is your call. Parts for the Cases are harder to find as they only produced 50 000 of them where as the Ford they made millions of n series tractors.

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #168  
i agree.. smaller run tractors generally are harder to find parts for.. but sometimes that's half the fun.

I remember when I got my VAC i ran into all kinds of people.. many helpfull.. some rude.. but most of them knowledgeable.

In short order I had manuals and parts. was a fun learning experience.

same with my farmall C.. though i had previous 'RED' experience.. and I was already familiar with CIH since I collect fords..

was a fun first fix tearing the steering bolster and front of the engine off as a first fix when she rolled off the trailer at the house. I knew she'd be a fun project when i had to hand crank her the first time I looked at her. :)

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
thanks for the help but im sellin it first chance i get and am going to get into a tractor that chapeier and parts are easier to come by

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #170  
gonna be hard to beat a late 50's era ford 00/01 series for bang for your buck.. or a N series for just sheer parts availability... when you make a millin similar tractors.. that keeps spares going. especially when lots of the parts from that million run.. work on the next 10-20-30+ years of tractors.. look at pto oil seal.. and some trans parts.. gaskets for the 4 spd tranny.. steering thrust bearings.. etc...