j.i. case 1949 SC

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #61  
weld a big hex nut to a rounded head bolt to remove it, if you can't get a pipe wrench on it.

also you can file or grind flats in it for a n adjustable wrench.

I like to use a good pair of Irwin Vise Grips for rounded off bolts. I try to avoid welding on or around cast iron and nicely painted metals so I don't burn the paint off. The filing or grinding works good when there is lots of space to get the tools in. I like to grind the flats to fit a open end wrench because I have found adjustable's to have play in the jaw and loosen off, slipping making the bolt head rounded again.

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
actuly it is the first picture i took a closer look so now that you no what my rear end looks like what is that circle peice underneat the check plug for theirs only one on the right side not one on the left gota be a hydralic pump or sumtin?? and what all can i do with it?

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #63  
What is that circle piece underneath the check plug for theirs only one on the right side not one on the left gota be a hydraulic pump or sumtin?? and what all can i do with it?

You are correct with the hydraulic. I think it is the hydraulic control unit as far as I know. The check plug for the hydraulic oil is located near the bottom left of the PTO shroud.

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
as far as that i can use 90 weight oil for that also right? can the case pull or 2 row picker and wagon u think?

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #65  
Can the case pull or 2 row picker and wagon u think?

It would pull a 2 row picker with ease with a 125 bushel wagon behind. It might be a little under powered in wet conditions but in dry conditions it is perfect. I like the pull type pickers because the dust, noise and flying debris is behind you.

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
id like to be able to run the hydralics to run a 8 foot a disc any ideas how do that?

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #67  
I like to use a good pair of Irwin Vise Grips for rounded off bolts. I try to avoid welding on or around cast iron and nicely painted metals so I don't burn the paint off. The filing or grinding works good when there is lots of space to get the tools in. I like to grind the flats to fit a open end wrench because I have found adjustable's to have play in the jaw and loosen off, slipping making the bolt head rounded again.

:) I don't worry much about welding near cast or burning paint. it's an old tractor. I've done plenty of welding on stuck fastners to remove them. i had one tractor that had nearly 100 broke botls studs and other fastners and plugs... yep.. the majority of the fasteners required drilling or welding to remove.

just an art to learn. as for paint... that's why they sell sand paper and new paint. :) :) :)

adjustable wrench loosening? sounds like one of the cheap angle jay types. get a parallel jaw type like the old 'monkey wrench'

they don't loosen up like an angle jaw.

ps.. I mentioned adj wrench as you may not get a plug squared for a standard size..

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #68  
:) I don't worry much about welding near cast or burning paint. it's an old tractor. I've done plenty of welding on stuck fastners to remove them. i had one tractor that had nearly 100 broke botls studs and other fastners and plugs... yep.. the majority of the fasteners required drilling or welding to remove.

just an art to learn. as for paint... that's why they sell sand paper and new paint. :) :) :)

adjustable wrench loosening? sounds like one of the cheap angle jay types. get a parallel jaw type like the old 'monkey wrench'

they don't loosen up like an angle jaw.

ps.. I mentioned adj wrench as you may not get a plug squared for a standard size..

It ain't a cheap adjustable wrench just a old worn out Snap-on wrench. I guess we all have different ways of removing stuck fasteners.Like the Gear vs. Hydro discussions we all have our own preferences.

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #69  
cheap or expensive does not matter.. design matters. angle jaw adj wrenches simply do not hold tight.

parallel jaw types where the jaws are at a perp angle to the handle are the onse that hold tight. sadly.. you don't see them anymore.. have to get them from old tool places.

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
mike you no of a good place to get head lights and rear lights for the SC id like to replace the headlamps and everythang