j.i. case 1949 SC

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #1  

Birchhatchery

Silver Member
Tractor
in search of new iron
i have a 1949 case row crop tractor narrow front end i need to put gear oil in her but the front break leaks these are the old style break pedal on each side with the cylinder on the tractor it has a lil leak i cann;t find a replacment part for it my guess it is just a bad seal but i cant find one anyone any suggestions on what to do JB weld HER?

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #2  
Have you tried a Case dealer?

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #3  
Below is an exploded view of the differential of your SC directly from the Case/IH site. The only seals shown behind the brakes are in the differential bearing carrier. Through Case/IH, those seals are $27.14 ea. Through Saeli Implement they show a couple of prices. One is $12.70, and another I saw was $14 and change. They (Saeli) also carries the gasket and O-ring for the bearing carrier.

Discs unless worn out, can be cleaned up. An old Case collector showed me how to take a propane torch and "boil" the oil out of them. I chose to hang them on a piece of #9 wire, and held the torch a couple inches from the disc, and go in a circular motion on the surface of the disc. Oil will literally boil out of the disc surface. It takes a while, so be patient. I further cleaned with brake parts cleaner, then buffed with a roloc pad, on my air angle grinder. A medium gasket removing disc works great.

Pretty much the same brake setup on my old 310B I had. It is recommended in the repair manual, to only do one side at a time, or it will let the differential drop in the diff. case.

The 310B had large Phillips head, bevel headed screws to hold the bearing carrier in. I replaced them with a hex type, bevel screw, so as to make reinstallation a lot easier, since they need to be torqued. Even though as I recall it was only like 10-15 inch lbs. No cam out on the screw heads.

Hope this helps..!!

http://www.saeliimplement.com/index...category_id=30&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3
SC Case Differential.gif

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #4  
DJ54 is correct. Be careful when you are removing the cover not to loose or damage the shims that are between the cap and housing and the felt washer that goes against the cap.

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #5  
nice looking machine in the avatar. i always thought the front pedistal on em looked interesting.. :)

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
so what should i do just get the axel/diffrentel seal and replace it and leave it

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
so what should i do just get the axel/diffrentel break seal and replace it and leave it

/ j.i. case 1949 SC #8  
nice looking machine in the avatar. I always thought the front pedistal on em looked interesting.. :)

Thanks Soundguy

So what should I do just get the axel/diffrentel seal and replace it and leave it

You should replace the seal but also while you are in there check the bearings. They are adjustable tapered roller bearings. There is one at the end of the housing and one on the transmission casting. To fix any play in them you will have to add more shims. The hardest part of changing them is getting the rear wheel off as it has some weight to it.

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
the axel diffrential seal is the one i need for sure before i order it?

/ j.i. case 1949 SC
the axel diffrential seal is the one i need for sure before i order it?