Clutch Not Engaging - New Holland TC35A

/ Clutch Not Engaging - New Holland TC35A #1  

karlsbadTC35A

Tractor
New Holland TC35A
I have a New Holland TC35A tractor - 3 gears to engage - Low/Medium/Neutral/High gear, Forward/Reverse gear, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear... at any given time, I can engage any combination of 2 out of 3 in gear... but when i try to engage last gear - will not go into place or tries to grind.... clutch is not neuralizing the spinning gears.... the tractor starts to move a little, but won't go far just cause it's not "in gear".... if the tractor is off, i can put all 3 in place, but than the tractor will not start for me - i'm sure due to some sort of safety switch... fluids were low, but full now and still having issues...

Any ideas of what the issue is ????!????!?!???

the tractor was driving fine... I was going down a hill in high... was going too fast, so i stopped part way down the hill, put it to medium and continued down the hill... since then, it would "crawel" at a slow pace, but now it won't move too much!

Any suggestions would be great!!! I need to get some work done!! lol. Thanks!!!

/ Clutch Not Engaging - New Holland TC35A #2  
Sounds like you need a clutch adjustment to me. How much free play is in your clutch pedal. It should be no more than 3/4" with the clutch engaged and the pedal all the way out.

BTW: You have 3 ranges (hi/med/lo) and 4 gears. Are you saying the ranges do not engage or the gear shift lever? Either one, it still sounds like the clutch adjustment. Anytime you can shift gears with the engine off, but it grinds when running, suspect the clutch adjustment or wear.

/ Clutch Not Engaging - New Holland TC35A
Thanks Jim for the suggestions - I have tried adjust the clutch pedal - I've gone all the way from a decent amount of play in the pedal to no play at all in the pedal... I can put it in "range" and "gear", but not drive/reverse... or I can put it in range and drive, but not gear... or I can put it in gear and drive, but not range.... it's like when i try to put the 3rd thing in gear/range/drive... it doesn't want to engage because it is spinning too fast.... so i'm assuming the clutch pedal is not doing it's job... but the pedal adjustments just don't seem to be making a difference... any other ideas???

/ Clutch Not Engaging - New Holland TC35A #4  
With the symptoms you described, it sounds like maybe the pressure plate is damaged. Did you ever hear any noise when you engaged the clutch? The throw-out bearing/thrust bearing may have gone bad and damaged the pressure plate fingers. When that happens, you normally hear a screeching/grinding, but it could have been masked by other noises on the tractor. It sure sounds like a clutch problem that can't be fixed with adjustment. It's time for a split to see what is ailing the clutch.:(