Kubota Diesel Engine Swap - ZD21

/ Kubota Diesel Engine Swap - ZD21 #1  

ejbeaulieu

Tractor
New Holland TC40A; Kubota ZD21F
To quote Homer Simpson "DOH"

Long story short, overheated the D782 diesel engine in my ZD21F mower. Looking for a replacement D782 engine is analogous to finding a needle in the haystack. However there are a lot of Kubota D902, D1005 and D1105 engines available both new and remanufactured. Is it possible to swap any of these into the ZD21 mower?
(Yes, I checked with Kubota and their conservative answer is "the D782 is the only engine tested for use on the ZD21", but the brochure for the ZD21 also lists the ZD28 and they share a majority of parts. The ZD28 comes with a D1105)

Last edited:
   / Kubota Diesel Engine Swap - ZD21 #2  
they make v-8 conversions for the old ford 8N's, so I am sure it can be done. I would check the overall dimensions to make sure the new engine will physically fit im the mower, and flywheel connections to make sure the drive line will be compatible, the rest is linkage and such. You can even make adapter plates for the driveline if needed. The question is, is the mower worth the hassle and expense?

/ Kubota Diesel Engine Swap - ZD21 #3  
Go to the Kubota industrial engine website. There you will find dimensioned engine drawings. This should help answer your questions. Philip.

/ Kubota Diesel Engine Swap - ZD21
Thanks guys. Looking at the Kubota web site and the service manual, I think I can find a way to make a swap. I may have to replace the mounting brackets but it should fit.