Tecumseh flywheel magnets LOOSE!!!!

/ Tecumseh flywheel magnets LOOSE!!!! #1  

banjodunn

Veteran Member
G'day all I have a 13.5 hp Tecumseh engine in a ride on mower and the internal flywheel magnets have come adrift :censored:. I had stuck them in with 'super glue' and refitted it but found out that did not work:censored:x2. Has anyone out there fixed this problem and how?? My prob being as well is the flywheel assy is NLA I have all bar one magnet ( well i've got it but not in one piece :( ) and the stator is not damaged, and I would really like for the charging system to work as it is my dads so pull starting and constant jump starting are not on and as for hooking it up to a batt tender after every use....... He's a bit forgetful with those things and either would not hook it up OR forget and drive away with it still attached ( well the bit from where it broke anyway:rolleyes:). Look forward to reading responses.

Jon

/ Tecumseh flywheel magnets LOOSE!!!! #2  
eBay. Maybe get lucky and find a good used flywheel in a junkyard or somewhere if not on eBay.

/ Tecumseh flywheel magnets LOOSE!!!! #3  
Possibly JB weld or similar metal glueing product that is not heat sensitive. You have to be very careful and not allow any buildup to prevent the magnets from hitting the coil.

/ Tecumseh flywheel magnets LOOSE!!!!
Possibly JB weld or similar metal glueing product that is not heat sensitive. You have to be very careful and not allow any buildup to prevent the magnets from hitting the coil.
G'day I was thinking along those lines as well but as you said I am worried about it sitting out too far I think I might try some araldite wich is a two part epoxy. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter

Jon

/ Tecumseh flywheel magnets LOOSE!!!! #5  
G'day I was thinking along those lines as well but as you said I am worried about it sitting out too far I think I might try some araldite wich is a two part epoxy. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter

Jon

We see this problem with the flywheels on some of the jonnyrude outboard engines. The 225 loopers are famous for the magnets coming loose and wiping out the whole ign system......$500.00 stator/$1200.00 flywheel $$$$$$$. When this first started happening you had to replace all the parts but now they have magnet kits so you can at least fix the flywheel. You are lucky that you didn't lose the stator and you can re-glue the magnets. The first thing is to mark where they were attached and it is best to remove the ones that are still stuck and re-do them all. This way you can really clean the inner ring well so that you have a nice clean surface. A light blasting in the sand blast cabinet works wonders with cleaning the surface up. Once it is nice and clean spray it down with a good degreaser, brake clean works wonders because it cleans and dries fast and don't leave and residue.

I have used all kinds of glues and adhesives but have found that good ol' Marine Tex works best and if it is put on right it will never come off. I did a couple with 3M fast cure 5200 and as far as I know they are still holding fast but Marine Tex is cheaper to buy. OH, and don't forget to clean the magnet surface good too before you stick them on. The problem with Marine Tex is that you have to let the flywheel sit for at least 24 hours after you make the repair. The adhesive that comes with the magnet kits is faster but I did see a few of the repairs we made using that stuff come back to haunt us and that was an expensive meal to eat.

We started drilling and tapping then putting pan head screws on each side of each magnet to keep the magnets from sliding one way or the other if they did happen to work loose but now they have come up with a magnet retaining kit that does the same thing only someone is getting really rich off the pattern royalties. OH.....one other thing remember that the magnets have opposite poles and need to be place in correct orientation when glued to the flywheel. Don't ask me how I found that out either.....:D

/ Tecumseh flywheel magnets LOOSE!!!! #6  
Hi Gents,

I have the same issue with a Techmseh 13.5 XL/C (OV358EA-206904F, 358cc) engine and the magnet and Stator have been destroyed.
But is it possible to buy magnets that will fit this flywheel (611240A)?

Many thanks.
Neo

Last edited:
   / Tecumseh flywheel magnets LOOSE!!!! #7  
I used epoxy glue on mine, but mx842 has a pretty thorough answer.

/ Tecumseh flywheel magnets LOOSE!!!! #8  
I used epoxy glue on mine, but mx842 has a pretty thorough answer.
So are you saying there are kits available?

/ Tecumseh flywheel magnets LOOSE!!!! #9  
mx842 was telling about a magnet repair kit for an outboard engine. I velieve TRR was saying mx842 had a well detailed answer on how to reglue your existing magnets. No magnet kits available for the Techumseh engine that I know of.

Ken

/ Tecumseh flywheel magnets LOOSE!!!! #10  
I did some checking around and as far as I can see there is no fix for these flywheels because Tecumseh never offered flywheel magnets in their parts list. Sometimes aftermarket companies pick up on this kind of stuff but in this case there probably wasn't enough engines out there to make it worth their while making them. You might check around and find a used one on e-bay or even find an old blown up engine at a local small engine repair shop cheap. A new one will probably set you back $150.00 or better so it might be worth a try looking around a little for something used.