Can't find a diode for my TO30

/ Can't find a diode for my TO30 #11  
No need for a diode on a lighting circuit, may want a relay though, like a Bosch 30 amp relay and 30 amp fuse.

/ Can't find a diode for my TO30 #13  
I looked at several TO-30 diagrams online, even converted to 12 volts, but I didn't see a diode symbol anywhere.

I like Troutsqueezer's idea about using a bridge though, if he does need a diode. It will have the current, PIV, and ease of wiring necessary, and if I am thinking right, a built-in spare!

Not only a built in spare, but 3 spares.. and if you get the kind with a metal case and a hole thru it, you can bolt it to the chassis, for heat-sinking. I don't have a clue why the diode is in the lighting circuit though..

James K0UA

/ Can't find a diode for my TO30 #14  
Not only a built in spare, but 3 spares.. and if you get the kind with a metal case and a hole thru it, you can bolt it to the chassis, for heat-sinking. I don't have a clue why the diode is in the lighting circuit though..

James K0UA

You're right! I just sketched one up, and there are 3 spares and one for use. For some reason I was thinking of using two at a time like doing rectification of the first half cycle, but you do have direct access to each of the four diodes, and there is no reason to use more than one at a time. Thanks for the correction!

L1 to pos
Neg to L2
L2 to Pos
Neg to L1

/ Can't find a diode for my TO30 #15  
You're right! I just sketched one up, and there are 3 spares and one for use. For some reason I was thinking of using two at a time like doing rectification of the first half cycle, but you do have direct access to each of the four diodes, and there is no reason to use more than one at a time. Thanks for the correction!

L1 to pos
Neg to L2
L2 to Pos
Neg to L1

Yep, I used to build diode bridges, before they started packaging them in "diode bridges", out of discrete diodes. I am actually old enough to have messed with a lot of equipment that had selenium rectifiers in them.. You did NOT want to "let out the magic smoke" on one of those nasty things.!:yuck: I remember the first LED device I ever saw back about 1972 or 1973. It was a watch a friend had. I think it was about $800. It told the time in red 7 segment LED's if you pressed a button with your other hand.. I remember back in 1971 at the University, we had a centralized calculating machine called "the Wang" that had maybe 10 remote terminals off of this centralized processor that all it did was what any $5 calculator would do today(actually less). It had Nixie tubes, a type of neon gas discharge tube for a multi-segment display. I think it cost a fortune, and an entire room was devoted to it. You had to book time to get to use it to make your calculations.. Your alternative was a slide rule(yes Virginia I still know how to operate one!) with much less accuracy, or a paper and pencil. Yes it is true, I am older than dirt.:)

James K0UA

/ Can't find a diode for my TO30 #16  
Yep, I used to build diode bridges, before they started packaging them in "diode bridges", out of discrete diodes. I am actually old enough to have messed with a lot of equipment that had selenium rectifiers in them.. You did NOT want to "let out the magic smoke" on one of those nasty things.!:yuck: I remember the first LED device I ever saw back about 1972 or 1973. It was a watch a friend had. I think it was about $800. It told the time in red 7 segment LED's if you pressed a button with your other hand.. I remember back in 1971 at the University, we had a centralized calculating machine called "the Wang" that had maybe 10 remote terminals off of this centralized processor that all it did was what any $5 calculator would do today(actually less). It had Nixie tubes, a type of neon gas discharge tube for a multi-segment display. I think it cost a fortune, and an entire room was devoted to it. You had to book time to get to use it to make your calculations.. Your alternative was a slide rule(yes Virginia I still know how to operate one!) with much less accuracy, or a paper and pencil. Yes it is true, I am older than dirt.:)

James K0UA

Slide rules were slightly before my time. I have used a Wang. I had the segment LED watch, but for some reason, it wouldn't work in the hot sunshine. And it didn't last me very long. This thing had to be cheap, not expensive like $800 because my dad got me and my brother one, and said "you boys are old enough to be on time." (Actually, thinking about it, I think it was like $30 dollars, and that was a lot of money at that time, so Dad was right generous when he bought those.)

I am used to the square rectifiers mostly, but back when I hired maintenance men, one of the first test questions was "draw a full wave rectifier." It was perfectly fine if they couldn't but how they went about it mattered. If a man draws four terminals, labels them + - L1 L2 or something similar, and attaches a load to the DC, and draws a sinusoid, he will always prevail because all he has to know is what a diode does. I never has a single candidate get it right. They tried to just start stringing together diodes while remembering some rhyme (that I have never heard.)

The reason why it mattered: The utility's PF correction capacitor bank would sometimes slam across the line before the caps were discharged due to a failed time delay relay, and ruin every rectifier in our factory. There have been times where we bought up all the local supply of diodes, but ran out before the factory was fully restored due to wiring mistakes. This was in the time when DC drives were common, but before variable frequency drives were popular. I was a younger guy then, and we were a leaner factory too. I should have had rectifiers ready on the shelves. But heck, our parts room was the size of my living room...and I live in a small house!

/ Can't find a diode for my TO30 #17  
k0ua said:

James K0UA

Careful Jim some of these youngens might think a slide rule is for measuring not calculating. Some of today's kids don't know how to figure without a calculator. I'm like everyone else not sure the purpose of a diode In a DC circuit except as a back flow prevents.
Wayne

/ Can't find a diode for my TO30 #18  
The deal with the LED watch was, this guy gave a girl an engagement ring, later she gave it back.. he felt he was stuck with it, and took it back to the jeweler and traded if for this high dollar gold Plated LED watch that had just come out. I can not remember the name of it, but it was quite the rage for little while. Anyway, of course in a couple of years the watch was worthless as you could buy one for $30 as pointed out. In fact I had one, and I was a poor kid. Of course the engagement ring would be worth a lot more then and now. Soon the price of every LED thing dropped like a rock, and then the LCD stuff started coming out, and off we went again. I still remember seeing my first LED calculator a friend had, and it would not even spot the decimal point. you still had to do that in your head like a slide rule. and it was 8 digits. ah, the bad old days

James K0UA

/ Can't find a diode for my TO30 #19  
Maybe he still got the better end of the whole deal. :laughing:

Here is the funny part, a few years later he married her. He had to buy another ring. Then they divorced after a few years..Oh well.

James K0UA

/ Can't find a diode for my TO30 #20  
Here is the funny part, a few years later he married her. He had to buy another ring. Then they divorced after a few years..Oh well.

James K0UA

:D Should have kept time with the watch instead.