loader forks

/ loader forks #1  

Raider43

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L35 "1998",Kubota RTV900 "2010", Samsung SE210LC-2"1998" AM General M817 dump truck "1972" John Deere 450B "1998"
I know this post must have been here before, but to cut to the chase, what type or brand of temporary forks are half way decent for a Kubota L35 loader bucket? I would be using them to plant trees and carry brush and branches, etc...? Residential use, not commercial. Does anyone have them that they are very satisfied with?

thanks in advance,
Raider 43

/ loader forks #2  
   / loader forks #3  
I have a Kubota B3300SU with Bucket Solution's "Bucket Spade."

This tool is the berries. It works fine for planting (or removing) trees on my 33-hp machine.

It would be better on your heavier, more powerful tractor.

Bucket Spade never moves once clamped on the bucket. A heavy, quality attachment.

Check out the link: Tractor Forks, Bucket Forks, Loader Forks

Bucket Solutions also manufactures Debris Forks.

Attachments

• IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 250
   / loader forks #4  
Do you have a Skid steer quick attach style bucket? I have a set of clamp on forks for my backhoe. They work well but because they are extending beyond the bucket they reduce the amount you can lift by quite a bit. If you don't have a SSQA and your brush and trees are not too heavy then you'll be fine but if you want to lift pallets weighing over 1000lbs clamp on forks may not work well for you.

/ loader forks #5  
PAYNEFORKS made in USA. They offer 1200lb, 2400lb capacity and more. They even offer Kubota orange. Plus for a little more you can get Aluminum which is less than 1/2 the weight of steel for just a little more.

/ loader forks
Jeff, that bucket spade is kind of cool, though I would be using the forks more for branches etc... and the occasional root ball tree.I don't have the quick attach, so I am limited there. I am considering the forks that attach by wrapping a chain around the bucket (only $149 with 3500 lb capacity which is way more then I can lift). They advertise better then the clamp on type. I will look at the PAYNEFORKS now.

thanks gents.

/ loader forks
zebrafive,

just looked at the payneforks aluminum and light duty. More pricey, but willing to pay if they don't continuously pivot on the clamp. Do yours work OK?

Raider 43

/ loader forks #8  
I have a Ratchet Rake which attaches to the bucket with steel cables around the bottom of the bucket, then uses belts and ratchets to provide tension. The Ratchet Rake is a good tool and relatively cheap at $299 / 60" at Tractor Supply. The Ratchet Rake attachment has been 100% secure as has the clamp-on attachment for my Payne's Aluminum Debris Forks and the clamp-on attachment for my Bucket Solution's Bucket Spade. However it is less complicated to simply screw down two clamps than to wrap around the steel cables, then fiddle with the locking mechanism on the belt ratchets on the RR. Both the clamp-on attachments have fine thread bolts and it is simple to tighten them down.

The Ratchet Rake is compact and weighs "only" 60 pounds or so, so you can manhandle it onto the bucket fairly easily and ratchet it tight.

The aluminum Debris Forks weigh about the same but are bulkier = more difficult to wrestle on to the bucket but still doable. Plenty of hand-holds. $800 plus freight.

The Bucket Spade is 110 pounds and a bear to wrestle for me, at age 64; however for me it is an occasional tool which I use less than the RR or Debris Forks. The weight is a primary factor why Bucket Spade is a good "digger"; I would not wish it lighter. I store the Bucket Spade on a Tractor Supply pneumatic wheeled garden cart which has a bed about 14" of the ground. I position the cart then move the tractor to the cart/spade then position the bucket so I limit the amount of wrestling I have to do.

All three tools discussed above are easier to attach than wrestling the PTO drive onto the tractor PTO stub from a PTO powered implement like a PTO chipper or PTO powered Bush Hog. PTO connections are never easy and some days are a bear. Talk about wrestling!!

So, don't let the attachment method be too high on your priority list when considering bucket tools, as long as the attachment method has proven secure. Ten years ago, when I was stronger, everything seemed to go on easier. Now I have to use more technique and less brute force. But I still get 'em on. So will you.

Last edited:
   / loader forks #9  
Payne's rates their aluminum Debris Forks at something like 2,000 pounds capacity. The bucket on my Kutbota B3300SU package / 33-hp, has a lift capacity of 750 pounds; way, way under Payne's rating. I do not know the fork load in the attached picture but the rear wheels were light. When I carry heavier loads I counterbalance the front load with 425 pound Wallenstein PTO chipper on the 3-Pt.

For timbers over 750 pounds I drag them with chain attached to the tractor 3-Pt. via OMNI Hanging Tree. With most of the timber elevated on the OMNI I have dragged some huge trees with my compact tractor with industrial tires.

The clamp-on attachment has been 100% secure in my experience. I tighten the clamps down snug, motor to the work site then snug 'em down again after this period under vibration. Could do all the tightening when first attaching the fork....but I feel more secure checking them before starting to work 'em. (This is a SAFETY issue.)

The aluminum forks are about 55-60 pounds, steel Debris Forks are 110-120 pounds. That extra weight for steel reduces your lift capacity ALL DAY, especially since the lifting is done 'way out there beyond the bucket. Lift capacity is why the extra $100 for aluminum is worth it.

Payne's telephone Customer Service I would rate "D", but forks eventually arrived (late) as ordered and are good quality.

Loctite the little allen-head screw that secures the clamps pads to the clamp-bolts on arrival. These tiny screws work out as you take the forks on and off. Not an issue when operating, the 4" clamp pad will only drop off and the tiny screw escape when you are wrestling the forks on or off. THEN YOU WILL BE MAD.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
   / loader forks #10  
My set of clamp on forks have the chain and they work fine. I did bend one when I stuck it into the ground by mistake but that's with a 12,000 lb machine. I have picked up some very heavy objects like rocks in my bucket, I'm guessing 2 ton or more yet with the forks I couldn't pick up a pallet with 20 bundles of shingles. The chains use chain binders. I was using the lever kind but found that they either would be too tight or too loose so I switched to the ratchet kind.