Crankshaft pully

/ Crankshaft pully #1  

lexmark

Tractor
Farmpro2420
Hello fellows,I am about to undertake the task of changing the fan belt on my 2003 Farmpro 2420.I know that I have to remove the crankshft pully to get the belt on and off.I am an old helicopter mechanic and I have never pulled a crank pully off before or put one on so how is the best way to get it off and back on?I have a impact wrench and a puller.There is not a lot of rrom to work ,unless I take the whole front end off,and I would hate to do that.
Outside of trading the think for a JD or Farmall can any one help???
Mike

/ Crankshaft pully
How about trying a "Link Belt" I an not sure if one would work or not. I have one waiting to try on my KUbota if/when the fan belt fails. On my B7100 I will need to remove the front hydraulic pump to change the belt.

Link V-Belt A/4L Belt Type, 5 Ft - V-Belts - Power Transmission Belts - 6PTY2 : Grainger Industrial Supply

Thanks Sam,
I will see what I can find and I sure as heck will try the link belt before I have to resort to drastic measures.I wonder what was going through the minds of the jackass that designed these tractors:thumbdown:

/ Crankshaft pully #4  
Some pulleys are threaded in a well containing the bolt that holds it on. Then all you need is a bolt the right size and a way of holding the pulley.
If you have to use a puller and the shaft is not tapered and uses a key to fix the pulley, place a two jaw puller so that a line between the jaws goes through the center of the key cross section. Tighten the puller until it won't pull, then turn the shaft so the jaws are at 12 and 6 o'clock, with the key up. Hit the upper jaw by the puller cross member with a small sledge hammer (striking downward). Rotate the shaft 180 degrees and again strike the upper jaw. It should come off using the puller after that.

/ Crankshaft pully
:cool2:Thanks for the tip and advise the only problem is you can't get to the front of the saht to hit it with anything unless you take aiut the radiator and the front grill:eek:
I solved my problem with the Link-Belt.

I have a quote about trying to change a fan belt on a farmpro 2420.
Never have I worked so hard for so long to get nothing done.:confused:

/ Crankshaft pully #6  
That sounds like one of ford trucks that cost a lot of money just to change a spark plug, I have never heard of pulling the pully just to change a belt. New one on me,

/ Crankshaft pully
Leejohn,
I grew up on a cotton farm and my dad was a very good mechanic on most all tractors and one of the best with the Farmall and I had never seen a tractor that you had to take the pully off to change a belt,untill now.
You would have to seea Farmpro 2420 and look at the design.It's crazy.The pully sits down in a swallow valley at the ned of the fram at the front wheels.If they had just hollowed out that valley anothe 1/4 inch you would have had enough room to get the belt over the pully.Believe me I tried everything I knew.
Another bad thing is the pully sits right on top of the shaf that hold the forn end and you can barely get your hands in there to do anything.The only other way I could see to get the belt off was to take off the front end.
Another way they could have fix this problem was to make the tractor 6" longer in the front,then the pully could have bben placed behind the front axal and you could have gone in from the bottom and slipped it right off.I tell you it is a Chineese plot to tke over the world by causeing folks like me to go nuts tryiing to fix things like that.
I also agree about the spark plugs toobut try a 1975 Dodge Charger with a 360 cid engine.Same thing.
Thanks friend.
Mike

/ Crankshaft pully #8  
I've changed mine once now. It's difficult but not impossibly terrible. You loosen the bolt (mine wasn't too bad) yank the pulley outward (it wasn't rusted in place) and then put the belt on and reassemble.

But, some others have mentioned the segmented belt on the chinese tractor pages. That's a easier way to go and I'll be using that one the next time. And they sell them at Harbor Freight even.

Steve

/ Crankshaft pully
Hey Steve,
Good for you man!!!With my luck I would have been able to pull the pully off my tractor with a D-9 Cat.
I am a beliver in the Link-Belt as far as ease to put on,only time will tell how long it will last.
I am hopeing this belt will out last me.
Mike