Surging

/ Surging #1  

broncobilly69

Tractor
IH 424
My IH 424 (Gasser) is surging on me. It only seems to do it once it is really warmed up (10 minutes or more of use with a decent load). Feels like somebody is pumping the gas in a car. I've replaced the fuel pump, coil, installed a ballast resistor (PO had removed the original), changed fuel filters, cleaned carb inlet filter and float bowl. It's been an ongoing proplem http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/246568-cutting-out.html#post2890842 anybody have any new thoughts? I'm thinking it has something to do with the mechanism that increases fuel as load on the motor increases, but I have no idea how that works. If anybody can give me a quick education on that it would be greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks,
Nick

/ Surging #2  
If it is surging rather quickly, sounds like the governor is doing what they call, "hunting". Past experience has taught me it can be lack of fuel, and the governor will respond by opening the throttle to recoup lost RPM's, or there is wear in the Gov. assembly.

The thrust bearing inside the gov., that actuates the cross shaft is notorious for going bad over a long period of time. The cage that holds the small ball bearings, will let the little ball bearings drop out, and you will have slop between the actuator, and cross shaft, and may cause something like this. I know when they completely come apart, the engine will not go above approx. 1/3 throttle.

Check for slack in your gov. control rod by unhooking from the carb. There's probably a little, but not supposed to be much. Be careful of the little arm on the carb side. They used to be potmetal, and easily break. A spring in the gov. housing is supposed to hold it within tolerence. There is a small adjusting bolt on top of the Gov. housing, to adjust the Gov., to keep from "hunting". I believe even an I&T manual shows the adjustment procedure.

It' not hard to check the bearing condition. Just pull the front cover off the Gov. assy., and you're looking at it. It rides on a shaft, behind the two fingers on the cross shaft. You used to be able to buy that little bearing for 75 cents years back. Last I bought was around $8.00 if memory serves me right. Also check the condition of the control spring. If it is worn in the hooks, replace it. If if breaks, it will allow the engine to run away.

I've attached an exploded view of the Gov. assy. from Case/IH to give you an idea of what you will be looking at.

IH 424 Gov assy..gif.

/ Surging #3  
True, it may be your gov., or it may be as simple as opening up the high speed needle another 1/4 turn...I've got a Farmall 140 that runs beautifully until you put it under heavy load and then it started to "hunt"...I opened up the "big screw" on the front of the Zenith carb 1/4 turn and it was fine..give it a try..let us know. BobG in VA

/ Surging #4  
If your surging is like most, the fuel supply is being starved and the
unit needs a new fuel filter or the tank has a lot of crap in it and needs to be cleaned out.

/ Surging #5  
Check the mixture setting on the carb. Too lean can cause surging.
Some governor housings have a damper screw to put added friction damping in the governor and desensitize it. If you have one on your governor, you might see if screwing it in helps.

/ Surging
I thought I had her licked, but after 1.5 hours of mowing she started acting up again. Came on a little slow but was surging pretty good off and on within a couple minutes of the first hick-up. It looks like I cracked my carb where the fuel line screws in, so I guess I'll put a new carb on and see if that helps. Unless anybody knows of a way to fix that? It's seeping just a tiny amount of fuel around the screw in fitting and has a small crack.