John Deere 4110 power steering cylinder

/ John Deere 4110 power steering cylinder #1  

Mike Dermott

Tractor
Ford 8N
I have 2 questions:
John Deere 4110 power steering cylinder P# AM879356
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket cylinder to replace this? I've only seen new OEM ones @ $600.00 give or take.

Ford 8N
I'm looking to get a new Marvel updraft carb for it. Where is the best place to get one and do I have to stick with the original Marvel Schreiber?

/ John Deere 4110 power steering cylinder #2  
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket cylinder
to replace this?

Here is a replacement JD 955 steering cylinder, recently completed using a generic cyl
from SurplusCentr, with a couple of NAPA tie rod ends welded on. Total parts cost
was <$150.

I would not buy any JD cylinder, but that's me. If you don't weld, then you can
buy the parts and have a shop do it.

Attachments

• Steering_cyl.jpg
    Steering_cyl.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,262
   / John Deere 4110 power steering cylinder #3  
The cylinder on my JD4300 failed while plowing snow a few years back and when I pulled it off, found that it was non-rebuildable. When I called my dealer he offered me the "rebuild kit"???? Found that the cylinder has been upgraded to a rebuildable unit, available the next day.....Price was JD but not THAT bad.
My cylinder had come apart internally and the rod fell out. Not real easy to tow a JD with no steering and the cylinder removed......

/ John Deere 4110 power steering cylinder #4  
The cylinder on my JD4300 failed while plowing snow a
few years back and when I pulled it off, found that it was non-rebuildable. ......

Yeah, some JD cyls (like the 955's referred to above) have welded-on glands, and have
to be cut open to get at the innards. They can be rebuilt if you are willing to do that,
and weld them back closed. I assume the piston is held on with a nut.

/ John Deere 4110 power steering cylinder #5  
Hi DF,

Hoping you can help me. I have this exact issue and need to replace one of the ball joints on this cylinder. I have cut the old one off and have someone that can weld it. What I need help with how to find a ball joint this small at NAPA. I stopped by and they had no idea. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chuck

/ John Deere 4110 power steering cylinder #6  
Hi DF,

Hoping you can help me. I have this exact issue and need to replace one of the ball joints on this cylinder. I have cut the old one off and have someone that can weld it. What I need help with how to find a ball joint this small at NAPA. I stopped by and they had no idea. Any suggestions?

Try this, Chuck:

Go to your NAPA store sometime when they are not busy. Bring your ball joint and calipers. If
you can talk to a cooperative counter person, then they can look at a catalog with you and try
to match the sizes. It has been years, but I (we) found a tie rod end for a big truck with the
correct diameter and taper. It was a Moog catalog, IIRC.

You can also have the guy or gal bring out some ball joints for you to measure. My guess is that
your smaller JD will be able to use an automotive tie rod end.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 4110 power steering cylinder #7  
this is where the ole mom and pop auto parts store is golden, chain stores are not gonna help you