Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tractor
    JD750

Default Re: Troybilt Tine Holders - Help!

StanInCalif - Thanks for the solution to my problem! I did exactly what you suggested, and it worked! I put the long bolt back in the tine holder that screws into the shaft coming out of the gear case. I didn't tighten it all the way, but left it backed out about six or seven turns. I then tipped the rear end assembly up on its side so I could put the end of the other tine holder firmly on a block of steel. I gave the end of the big bolt a few good raps with a big ball peen hammer and a few seconds later my problem was solved. I reversed the process and took the tine holder off the other side.

I learned a great trick for feeeing things, so thanks again for the advice and solution to my problem!

The side plate almost fell off after I got the tine holders off. The bolts holding it on to the casing were all loose, and the gasket was all but gone. That's why it was leaking so bad. The gears look OK, but the shaft is grooved around the oil seals. I will probably replace the shaft, bearings, and seals and gaskets now that I have it this far apart.

Thanks to everyone who responded. That is what is so great about TBN. You can ask for some advice before you go out and do something totally stupid.

Glad you got the problem solved...

Dave.

Tractor
    JD750

Riverv- Your trick was going to be next on my list. Reason I didn't do it was I don't have the right end to put into the impact hammer that would work. I am going to look for something longer than the short one I have next time I'm in the tool supply place.

Good luck with your Troybilt.

Wayne, I had to completely rebuild my transmission a few years ago. Bearing went bad in the back and shaft chewed up the gears. Pretty much rebuilt the whole transmission front and back. Learned a few new swear words in the process.

Troy was still in business but going under at the time and they ducked out of their so called "lifetime warranty". Claimed that due to the age of my machine additional damage caused by bearing failure was not a defect in the shaft or gears. Told me that bearings are normal wear items in an old machine... So much for the lifetime warranty, I got tired of arguing with them

Bought my machine when I was in college in the 70's. It's done at least a 100'x100' garden every year. Gheesh... Am I getting old....

Dave....

Dave, about the same age as me. Getting older sure beats the only alternative [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD750

Just an update. I called this place called Kelly's that I found on the net. They still have some parts, but they say their inventory is getting low. I was able to order a new set of forged tines, as well as the shaft, bearings, seals, gaskets, etc. The whole mess set me back about $200.

According to the guy who I talked to there, MTD is sending customers to him when they are looking for parts! He is unsure if MTD is ever going to manufacture parts again for the tillers.

MTD has a number to order parts for the tillers, but I have not called them to find out what the story is.

Sounds like our machines are going to reach a point where parts will no longer be available and we will have to junk them. Too bad since they are such great machines. I have a MTD riding lawn mower that I bought at WalMart, so I know all about MTD.

I bought my Horse in 1986 and it has been great. This is the first time I have had to repair it. My land is very rocky (hence my handle), so it has not had an easy life.

Last thing - according to the guy at Kelly's, the tine holders are no longer available. So if yours get stuck on, DON'T cut them off! (Glad I didn't).

Rockyroad, Thanks for the parts situation update. I am wondering if the parts situation only affects the older machines with the solid rear end and not the newer machines with the pto style rear.

Last spring a repair shop here had an old horse selling for under $300.00. The only thing I could find wrong with it was the rear seals were leaking. Couldn't figure out why he didn't just replace the seals and jack up the selling price. Almost bought it for a spare. Now I kind of wish I did.

Dave...

Tractor
    JD750

RiverV - MTD may have a better supply of parts for the more recent machines. I have to call them next week to see what the story is.

As far as oil seals are concerned, I find it hard to believe that the oil seals for Troybilts are a special seal made especially for Troy machines. I may be wrong, but it seems that they would use a stock oil seal made by some manufacturere somewhere. Problem is, how to figure out what they are in a parts catalog. Probably there are some mechanics out there who could tell me whether I'm right or wrong. Same thing with bearings. There are probably stock size bearings that can be purchased that will fit. Again, I wouldn't know how to begin to find the right part number from a manufacturer, but it seems unbelieveable that Troy would have special ball bearings made for a fairly limited run of machines. If the main wear items are oil seals and ball bearings, then does anyone know if they are available from other sources?

Anyways, I love my Troybilt and I will keep it going until it becomes unrepairable, at which time I might have to look at another brand. Someone else on the post suggested Mainline.

Tractor
    JD 300B, JD 4310

Correct- When I rebuilt mine, I bought all the seals, bearings, and races at the local auto parts store. They are standard auotomotive parts and have numbers on them. I always take the old parts to the store to confirm matchup. Got the belts there,too.

The seals and bearings will be standard sizes made by some mfg. You can check with most industrial motion vendors and they can usually tell you exactly what size you need. If the shaft is scored you can buy a product called speedy sleeve that presses over the damaged area and gives the seals a new surface to ride on. They're pretty inexpensive as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12