Troybilt Tine Holders - Help!

/ Troybilt Tine Holders - Help! #1  

Rockyroad

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD750
This isn't about my tractor, but I need help on this and I figured that someone here has had this problem. I can't get the tine holders off the spindles on the gearbox on my Troybilt Horse. I bought the Horse in 1986, and I have never had them off. I took the bolts out of the ends of each tine holder, but they seem to be really stuck on there. I put a little heat on the holders with my O/A torch, but nothing would break free. I soaked the insides with PB Blaster overnight, but it didn't work. I hit with a hammer, but not too hard since I didn't want to break the housing. Anyone have this problem and can offer some advice?

/ Troybilt Tine Holders - Help! #2  
A gearpuller is best for this. Put it on, tighten, and smack the end of the puller with a hammer. Or, you might try this- Raise the depth gauge so that the tines are on the ground and have someone put his weight on the handlebars. Put the nut back on the shaft to protect the threads (but don't tighten), then hit the end of the shaft with a hammer. BTW- it is much better to hit it hard with a small hammer than to club it with a big hammer- you will shock it more and damage it less. Better yet is a plastic shot (dead blow) hammer.

/ Troybilt Tine Holders - Help! #3  
Wayne, I have been down this road a few times over the past 20 years. In all of my cases (one with the Pony and the other with the Horse model), the repair shop had to cut them off. In all of my cases it was to repair a transmission seal leak. At that point I also had the heavy duty tines put on. Stan's suggestion is definitely worth a try. Good luck with it.

/ Troybilt Tine Holders - Help! #4  
I used an air hammer with a long punch for a bit on mine. Was able to get in behind the holders, find a solid place and drive them out. My Horse has the cast iron tine holders. Yours may have the newer steel holders so I don't know if it would work with them. Good Luck... Dave.

/ Troybilt Tine Holders - Help!
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yes, I have a bad oil leak on the rear end of the Horse. I believe the tine holders are cast iron (they look like it), and those little devils are frozen right on. I may have to cut them off with my O/A torch as a last resort. I know heat has not freed them, nor has banging. I started to try to pry them apart by putting a bottle hydraulic jack between the tine gangs. However, before I went very far, I started to consider how far they would fly if they broke loose suddenly. So I have to consider a way of restraining both ends so they can't go flying across the barn or possibly injure me.

I am going to try my air hammer as suggested if the bottle jack idea does not work. Then I will try all the other suggestions if that does not work. As a last resort I will cut them off with my torch. All this to replace the seals and gasket on the bolt side of the transmission case.

Seems like a common problem. If I have to cut the holders off, then I will obviously have to buy new holders in addition to new tines (all worn out), as well as seals, bearings, shaft, and gasket.

Anyone else with war stories about getting the tine holders off please respond.

Is Troybilt still in business?

/ Troybilt Tine Holders - Help! #6  
Unfortunately, Troy Manufacturing went under and that wonderful MTD company bought out the rest of the assets..... you know the rest of the story.

You can still get parts from MTD. I believe that a TroyBuilt URL still exists.

Good luck!!

Terry

/ Troybilt Tine Holders - Help! #7  
I have an older 1973 ? Horse model with the cast iron tine holders. The seals leak a bit, but after hearing all of this I think they can just leak as long as it is not too bad /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Troybilt Tine Holders - Help!
Slowrev-

That's what I did. It started leaking a few years ago. At first, it wasn't too bad. Just a oil spot on my shop floor. Then a bigger spot, etc. etc, until now if I put rear end oil in, it is all drained out by next morning. I don't know if it is leading at the seals as much as leaking out the gasked where the side plate bolts on. What started out as a simple job has become complicated all of a sudden.

Found this place on the net called Kelleys that stocks lots of parts for the Troybilts. I have been trying to call them for the last couple of days, but they just have a message up on their answering machine.

I also found the new Troy site under MTD after someone else said on the post that MTD had bought them out. I don't know what this whole thing is going to cost after the smoke clears. Then I can start the same process with my Kuhn rototiller that is on the back of my JD 750 which is also leaking oil.

This will be my year of the oil seals.

/ Troybilt Tine Holders - Help! #9  
Last year there was a major problem getting parts for these machines due to the MTD buyout. I had to call several shops before I was able to locate a tine holder (and I got their LAST ONE.) Hopefully by now their accounting problems have been resolved between the parts suppliers and replacement parts will be more readily available. My Horse was sitting in the shop for 4 months before I could locate a tine holder. I have heard good reports about the BCS machine and once I can save up enough cash will give that one a try next.

/ Troybilt Tine Holders - Help! #10  
Rockyroad,
I did have a similiar problem replacing the axle seals on my Horse several years ago. I drove the axle roll pins out and could not get the hubs off. Finally wound up weldint 7/8 " nuts on the hubs and screwing a long bolt in there to push the hubs off of the axles, worked pretty well.