rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 404

/ rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 404 #1  

julie IH404

Tractor
international 404
I had my generator rebuilt because I thought it was not working after I got it back from the mechanics...He was supposed to get it running right and fix anything that needed fixing..when I went to polarize the generator,,,I noticed the BAT wire was coiled up behind the voltage regulator,,,i hooked it up to the starter and jumped the BAT and GEN terminals, tractor started and running good but I noticed my leg burning after awhile and looked down to find acid coming out of top of battery,,,battery is new..what did I do wrong??? Julie:confused2:

/ rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 404 #2  
Sounds like you have purchased a top notch, good quality generator here.

/ rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 404
that was helpful :)

/ rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 404 #4  
Nothing like battery acid running down my leg to restore my confidence in my generator. Please guide me from here. I would consider your advice quite refreshing.

/ rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 404 #5  
Sounds like a bad regulator (or wired wrong) allowing the generator to over charge the battery.

/ rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 404
Thank you...thats kinda what I was thinking too...now if I can figure out how to tell which it is

/ rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 404 #7  
need a multimeter

/ rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 404 #8  
its probably overcharging the battery... use a multimeter to measure the battery voltage while it is running.

/ rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 404 #9  
if the battery over heated most likely the generator is working as need be. the regulator is not allowing the generator to cycle on and off which means the generator will run as high a voltage it can unitil the weakest part in the system quits or burns up. there is parts dist in your city called enis products teh owner is paul robie his number is 903-872-2118 he should have the correct regulator in stock and can give you some advice on hooking it up if needed. keep this in mind a generator has only three major parts that creates power field coils armature and brushes you may have burnt up one or more of these parts paul can also help you in this area also. good luck

/ rebuilt generator ,,,now battery is overflowing acid when running International 404 #10  
Not sure about your IH 404, but the contact points in my IH 3414 voltage regulator stick from time to time. A good tap with a screwdriver handle on the regulator cover seems to cure this. Watch the amp. gauge if you have one. If it's pegged out to the high side, that's probably what it is. Seems to happen worse in the damp weather, which we have lots of here...Dan.